Ineffable Arc - 17

"Makoto! You're here already, is it that late?"

"I thought this was the time you wanted to meet."

"Oh, it is...my last meeting must have run late and I didn't notice. Excuse me."

"Don't worry about it. I just wanted to talk to you about the Liberation Force and everything."

"Yeah, I know. I know you want to go back as soon as you can, but I'm not sure the Future Foundation is ready for you to go back so soon. This place needs you too after we got so close to losing you."

"I can't let them try to rebuild alone."

"They won't be alone, we're sending some of us to help them, and they have a strong presence despite the loss from the attack."

"I know, but it feels wrong for me to stay here."

"It feels wrong?"

"Like I could be doing more."

"You don't need to do more, Naegi. You've done enough for several lifetimes. You should be here, where you can relax."

"I've been relaxed, but I have more work to do. I can't just stop because I'm tired, everyone is tired, and everyone is counting on me."

"Don't say that, you can have a break. Everyone shouldn't be relying on you, you're just one person. If they need you so badly then they surely don't have a life of their own. You aren't responsible for everyone in the world, just because you're the Ultimate Hope. The Future Foundation needs you."

"This isn't just about the Future Foundation to you."

"What?"

"In your letter, you wanted me to stay because of us."

"Yes, that's true too."

"Then stop trying to make it about the Future Foundation, Byakuya, make it about us if it's about us."

"The Foundation is a part of it."

"I want to know about the other part."

"Okay."

...

"So are you going to tell me?"

"Tell you what?"

"Byakuya..."

"Fine. I need you here, more than anything. I don't think I'd be able to control myself with you being gone. And I can't go with you, they didn't even invite me to go there, so I am going to be here, and I can't be here without you. The last time you left, something horrific happened, and I can't let you be alone again so soon after that. It doesn't make any sense to let you go back so soon. I need you here."

"I understand that-"

"Please stay."