12.

Why is Varo taking so long?

Tobias sighed as he held two vanilla milkshakes that the same woman at the counter had gifted him with. If the woman continued gifting drinks to fine men like that, she'd end up unemployed.

He looked outside to see Alvaro still towering over the officer who was beginning to look furious. He had no idea what his friend was trying to do in public.

He sighed and slowly walked out of the place. Varo had to be the dumbest person he knew...right after Miguel and well... Every single member of the family.

"Okay now, let's not do things we might regret later." He tried to reason on getting to his car where the officer was about to pull out a baton.

"M—mr Ferna." The officer immediately greeted and dropped his hand which made Varo back up a bit.

"What are you doing here, Paulo?" He asked calmly, taking his sweet time in opening the vehicle to gently place the milkshakes in the cup holders.

He eventually shut the car door to lean on it and face the policeman, who was a good gap away from him.

"I-I was only here to get lunch." The man stuttered and Tobias could see through his lie. Alvaro could too.

"And for some reason, your lunch was locked in my car?" He raised a dark eyebrow at the cop. There were snitches everywhere, and Varo was right. He couldn't trust everyone.

"No- I was only admiring it-" The bastard is lying.

"The car has been in Gillian's driveway for the past three days. Have you not had enough time to admire it?" Alvaro chipped in and Tobias couldn't be more grateful. Lies aggravated him.

"I-" The man tried to speak but Tobias interrupted.

"Let's do this somewhere private. Varo?" He asked a very willing Alvaro who nodded and Tobias led them to a place he knew too well- The alley beside the restaurant. He had caught Eniola there with some very unfortunate boys one too many times. He could not help the small grin that ghosted his lips when he remembered what happened to them.

Good times.

"Talk." He instructed the cop who was now roughly pushed against the dirty wall. Alvaro crinkled his nose at the awful smell and Tobias nearly rolled his eyes.

"I-" His hesitance made Varo's hands tighten around his neck.

"You what?" Tobias asked, leaning in to listen but avoiding the disgusting wall.

"I was instructed to keep an eye on you. I—I had lost sight of your vehicle and was only able to track you down when Mr M—Montez caught me." He rushed, still struggling to breathe but Varo did not give him breathing space. Literally.

"Who sent you?" He asked the man who immediately shook his head. He didn't expect a straight answer. He knew he would not want to disclose his benefactor so easily.

"Do you have your pocket knife, Varo?" He asked his friend who immediately reached into his back pocket and waved the small knife dangerously close to the man's face.

"I take it everywhere. You know, ever since you banned the family from using guns." The lawyer swiped at the man's face again but still did not come in contact with his skin.

The police officer was defenseless. His baton was pressing against his rib cage and he was quickly running out of oxygen.

Tobias thought he was pathetic to not have at least tried to put up a fight with them.

"You're a bit too pathetic for a cop." Tobias voiced out and Varo nodded in agreement.

"Yeah! What happened to those years in Police Academy training?" He added comically.