42.

"I did not expect to see you here, Esmeralda." Tobias tried to keep his tone leveled.

He could already tell that her presence unnerved his men and Rebecca who seemed like she was seconds away from pulling the woman by her hair and Eniola whose smile was a bit too wide for comfort.

"Is that how you say hello after two years?" She replied, her dark eyes gleaming with confidence and motive.

"Well, he was not expecting you. Don't be too surprised." He recognised the bite in Eniola's voice.

He recognised it too well.

"And who are you?" Esmeralda asked, her dark brows raising with curiosity and -dare he say it- offense.

"Eniola Gillian, nice to meet you," Eniola replied, her beautiful face holding the most dishonest grin.

She hardly even knew the Asian and yet she was so protective.

"Same here. I'm Esmeralda Chun Wang." Esmeralda answered with the same false smile.

Women were experts at passive aggression.

"Tobias, can we talk in private?" She asked, making him raise a brow in curiosity. "It's about a proposal from my father."

Alvaro raised a brow, expression asking if it was a good idea and then glancing at Eniola.

Tobias nodded.

"Fine. Gillian, let's go meet the rest." Alvaro chipped in, thankfully.

Eniola frowned and for a brief second, Tobias wondered if she would say something about it but she just smiled. Surprisingly, she turned to him and gave a lengthy kiss on his cheek.

"Later." She whispered before leaving with Varo.

His eyes lingered on her as she disappeared after turning a corner with her ass swaying with a perfect rhythm that made him want to gouge Patrizio's eyes out to make sure he couldn't look too much.

Red was definitely her color.

He wondered if she even knew the significance of the color. In the family, a woman —especially when associated with another member— wearing darker shades of red was as good as flaunting a diamond wedding ring on her finger.

"She is very beautiful," Esme spoke up. "Come on, there are too many eyes on us." She said, eyeing the bodyguards that seemed glued to the wall.

He nodded and followed behind the Asian woman.

"You know, a conversation is a two-way thing..." She said again, leaning on the railing.

As alluring as the pose seemed, he found the drink in his hand more interesting to look at.

"Is that not your woman?" She asked again, leisurely gesturing at the main ballroom below them.

Esmeralda was right.

Eniola stood with Vittore, discussing animatedly with him something he wished he knew. Alvaro was obnoxiously close to Clara as he whispered to her with his lips not straightening from their suggestive smirk. It also seemed like some of his men were having fun as well.

He would believe they were if he did not have his hand was not permanently placed inside his suit. At least they're all at alert.

He watched as Vittore dipped his head at Eniola and seemed to ask her for a dance. She accepted the offer with the biggest smile.

His grip on his glass tightened.

She did not know but he could see that she had easily caught the attention of the people around her.