41.

ENIOLA

"So you really think Rebecca is lying to you?" She said as she removed the last gold earring. She could not decide on the kind of jewelry that would suit the dress.

Her hands gilded over the diamond and gold sets for the hundredth time.

"I know she is." Tobias's voice sounded from behind the bathroom door.

The man had been in there for the past hour trying to trim the small white ends of his hair. He had also decided to get dressed there so she would not see his outfit as well.

In a weird way, they had managed to make it work and only agreed to reveal their outfits when they had both made a mutual agreement to do so. He had thought it was immature but went along with it anyway.

"How are you so sure though?" She asked. "Quick question; Gold or ice?"

There was a pause on the other side.

As usual, Tobias had to think very deeply before opening his mouth to say very few words.

"Gold or what?" Confusion laced his deep voice as she heard him mess around with a plastic bag.

"Sorry, diamonds. I forgot you were white for a second." She heard him kiss his teeth before he spoke.

"That's the most racist thing anybody has ever said to me." Black people can't be racist. A toxic part of her mused. "What's the colour of your dress?"

She mulled over the question and looked at the dress that had almost hurt her monthly income. Sike!

"What's your favourite colour?" She retorted, still looking at the dress. For some reason, it now looked two sizes too small.

"I don't know, light blue I guess." He answered quietly.

Oop.

The burgundy-colored dress looked nothing like light blue.

Oh shit. This dress is fucking hideous.

What was Varo thinking when he was convincing her to try the dress on?

"Uh, suggest jewelry that would go with the opposite of that colour?" She replied nervously. If the dress was going to keep morphing into Princess Fiona's, she'd have no option but to wear jeans to the gala.

"I'm not sure I know what the opposite of light blue is, Fuego." Tobias started lightly. "But if you are talking about a colour contrasting blue on the basis of intensity, like black or royal purple for instance, I'd suggest you go with diamonds. Small ones would do."

She blinked at the information and held out her dangling hoop earrings in front of the dress. She had one thought;

Who the fuck buys small diamonds?!

"From your silence, I take it that you do not own simple jewelry?"

The man knew her so well.

"What? Of course I do!" He honoured her small outburst with a small hum. "Would Luca really go to the police?" Eniola asked, returning to their previous conversation.

She heard Tobias loudly kiss his teeth.

"Well, I don't think it is likely to happen..." He started. "How would it benefit him?"

The boy could be under witness protection if he stood in court.

"Protection? Maybe he's scared." She answered and Tobias took his sweet time before replying and when he did, it was with a few words.