14.

"Took you long enough," Alvaro called out as he saw Tobias, throwing his cigarette to the ground as he jumped from the booth of the car.

Tobias had never hidden his distaste for cigarettes and his hatred for secondhand smoke.

"I know," He answered, lifting himself up the car and onto the booth while Varo leaned on the side of the vehicle. "And put that knife away." Tobias glanced at the small knife Varo was holding between his teeth.

The knife was small and very portable but it sure could cut a bitch. It was given to every member of the family during their initiation. His family's emblem, a sliver tiger head, glistened against the moonlight as Varo sighed and removed it from his mouth.

"I just had it cleaned," Varo explained tucking it back in his dark linen sleeping robe. This man loved the fancy life. "Where have you been, boss?"

Tobias had gotten distracted by his sister who had called him to give him unnecessary details on the outcome of the fashion week.

She sounded drunk and Tobias had spent the next 30 minutes sipping a cup of coffee and trying to convince her that she needed rest.

Tobias appreciated the distraction though. It kept his mind off Eniola and her surprising tactics for a little while.

"I... was busy." His voice faltered, remembering the millisecond that his lips had brushed against hers, and the other millisecond her lips almost touched his. Her very soft lips... He tiredly rubbed his eyes with the back of his palm like it would erase the image.

"Mmm." Varo hummed, not completely believing his boss. "Why are you so red the—"

"We need a house." Tobias interrupted quickly, pulling out the pack of gum he had taken from the cop car. He had almost forgotten about it.

"A house? For the family?" Varo finally dropped the topic and asked, watching him play around with the tablet of mint-flavored gum before popping one open.

"Yes. I want you to go out with Clara tomorrow. I have a property in the Bronx... About an hour from here. It's big enough for the Cinco Grande and a few others." He listed, drawing the gum to his nose and subtly sniffing it before chewing.

"Just that? What about the others in Spain and Cuba?" Varo took the strip that his boss was now offering him and did the same.

The five of them, los cinco grandes, as his grandfather, Alejo Fernandez had called it, were the founding members of the family. The foundation of the entire union— his non-native schoolmates he had met at the University of Oxford in the 1920s. The original members were long dead and for some reason, getting into the council was a do-or-die affair for most family members. He didn't understand why it was so important. Granted, his and Alvaro's last name granted them automatic membership into the inner circle but if it didn't, he was not sure he would care.

"We'll arrange for them later. When the need arrives." He said, sucking in the cold air before continuing, "I don't think it's ideal moving every single member here. The estates should be enough for them for now."

"So do you want me to contact the remaining four? Miguel won't be difficult to reach. He's currently staying at a hotel near here." Vero mentioned blowing a bubble and popping it, much to the annoyance of Tobias who just and looked away.

"I'll do the contacting. Just go and rest. You have a long day tomorrow." Tobias finally answered Varo who just nodded and tried to hide a yawn.

"You do know the court trial is the day after tomorrow?" He asked his boss who nodded and rubbed his face.