21.

ENIOLA

She was downcast.

It hurt her too much to give him space but she felt it was needed to at least give him some peace of mind. He had so much to handle and him having to deal with whatever they had going on at that moment would be too much of a burden on him.

She could see how much the whole Peppero—(whatever the Italian's name was) and mafia issue was fucking him up and she did not want to add to his stress. He was not sleeping well and was zoning out a bit too much. Enny couldn't tell if it was normal for him.

She hadn't seen him in eight years so maybe he had changed but the Tobias she knew never played with his sleep.

"Does Tobias zone out when you talk to him?" Enny asked Clara who just looked at the reality show playing on the television. Usually, she would religiously watch Keeping Up With The Kardashians but her mind was occupied.

"No. He's the most focused person I know."

"Oh."

So he hasn't always been like this? Enny frowned. Her situation must have broken her man.

She wished things could be less complicated. They could get a big house or something and have kids— If that was what he wanted and live happily ever after but no, she had to be in court the next day, flanked by bodyguards she had never met before who were going to protect her from impending doom. Enioluwa Josephine Gillian, why did you have to be so fucking stupid? She nearly slapped herself before sighing.

She really just wanted a quiet life with him. Away from all the New York noise. Somewhere far away in the forest... Like Twilight or something.

"Now I'm worried about him. What did you say he was doing again?" Varo looked at her as he lit a cigarette. He was so good-looking. Too bad his human decency was nonexistent.

"I said he was fucking busy." She defended and the man held her eyes as he took a drag before blowing out and holding the gold paper between his fingers.

"I'll bet my right ball that you pissed him off again." He said and she was about to make a statement about him cutting it off and putting it on the table to stake his claim before Tobias finally came down.

For some reason, he had changed into a pair of dark sweatpants and t-shirt.

Enny thought he looked hot.

"Are you going somewhere, jefe?" Alvaro asked as his boss came to stand beside him.

"Send the house address to Mateo. I want them all there in ten minutes." Tobias instructed and he nodded. "And Clara, I do not know if Don Fernandez told you but we do a lot of killings. There are a lot of bad people in the world and those bad people do not like us. We cannot let them work over us now, can we?" She shook her head. "So I, Varo, Mateo, Miguel, Luis and Ole do what we have to."

Who the fuck is Mateo?

"Well, I am not sure I can say the same about Luca. The boy does whatever he wants to and I have no say in that. Free bird, they say." He added and Varo scoffed quietly in the background.

Eniola couldn't help but notice how the duo's patterns had changed. Alvaro had somehow become another fly on the wall while Tobias who hardly spoke was the center of attraction.

"Tomorrow, you'll both be meeting four out of the five. Ole had work and his flight was delayed so you'll probably see him on Tuesday. Alvaro will be keeping watch as usual and unless you have another question or you're about to have another mental breakdown, have a good night's rest." He concluded, tucking his necklace back into his t-shirt. "I'll see you soon, Princess."