Another One?

I may have made a mistake with the placement. It doesn't really matter though so just read on!

~~~

Eniola stared at the strips in disbelief, her mouth hanging open.

It can't be true— Well, yeah, I guess it can, but still!

She quietly closed the toilet seat and sat down, somehow willing the extra red line to go away. The twins were still very little. One more would be too soon.

"Fuego?" Tobias' voice made her jump as it had been quiet for a while. "You've been in there for more than half an hour. Do you need any help?"

She shut her eyes at the request and shook her head. "Nah, I'm good."

She felt like an eleven-year-old who had just gotten her period for the first time. Horribly enough, her dad had been the only one in the house to witness her breakdown before he ran over to the mall to buy every sanitary item known to man. Tobias had laughed himself to tears when he heard what had happened.

Now she was thirty-three years old and pregnant for the second time but it still felt so awkward.

Having more kids had never been on their agenda since the twins weren't exactly planned and even if they were more stable, kids were no small fit.

"Alright, I'm coming in," Tobias said and she heard the door handle turn before it stopped. "Can I come in?"

He still waited and her patience made her roll her eyes. Too fucking nice.

"Yeah, you can come in."

He pushed the door open, first poking his head in and looking around before his eyes rested on her.

He frowned.

"My love," his voice was oddly soft as he knelt in front of her and cupped her face. "You're crying. Why?"

She looked at him in surprise before touching her cheeks. Sure enough, tears were streaming down her face.

Eniola pointed at the strips on the sink and he took them in his hand, his expression unreadable.

He looked at it for a few moments before turning to face her.

"Must have been that one time you said we didn't need to use protection," he joked, a dorky smile on his lips as she giggled.

Being sad with him around was almost impossible.

"Are you pinning this on me?!" she asked, smacking his arm and he shook his head.

"Never, it's entirely my fault for listening to you..." he looked at the strip again. "But it was one time. How the hell did that get in?"

"It happened more than once," she said, pouting. "Remember that time, at Varo's inauguration party?"

"I don't think it was then. The party was five months ago." His eyes wandered to her bare stomach. "There will have been signs by now."

She too looked at her stomach.

"Yeah, you're right..." She nervously bit her bottom lip before speaking up again. "So, you're not mad?"

Tobias seemed more confused than upset at the question. "Mad? Why would I be mad?"

She shrugged.

"I mean, it's not like we talked about having another child—"

"Sometimes, my love, I feel like crawling inside this little head of yours—" he tapped her forehead. "To know how you reason. Why would I be mad that you're having my child?"