34.

He watched the woman in front of him with very slight interest after he read the note in his hand for the fifth time.

His eyes traveled around the room as well, anger seeping into his bones as Alvaro was still not present.

"What makes you think I have any interest in protecting you, Detective Foster?" He asked. "The last time I checked, we were not really on the best terms."

Eniola seemed to be the only person worried by the woman's words. He feared she would fall for it.

He was doing some target practice with his blades when Franco had nervously informed him via the small earpiece he was given that the detective had come to see him. The rest of the men stayed back at the gym while Mateo and Olegario escorted him. Well, Olegario was already in the living room after assisting Miguel in nursing Luca's wound.

Varo was nowhere to be found.

"I did not come here for your protection, Mr Ferna. I came here to warn you and to show you the letter-"

"As far as I am concerned, what is written here does not involve me or any member of this house. Do what it says and forget about Maria." He answered, carelessly interrupting her.

His eyes met with Olegario's wise ones and he adjusted his legs, alternating their position. The man motioned at him to keep calm. The only thing that kept him calm was Eniola's fingers leisurely running through the hair at the nape of his neck.

"Mr Ferna—"

"Do you not understand Amalie? I do not trust you and I am sure the members of this house would feel better if you leave." He said quietly, passing the note to Mateo who barely glanced at it before giving it to Olegario.

"Tobi, let her stay for a while." Eniola started quietly. "She's scared and she's trying to cover it up."

"But I don't like her."

Her eyes showed her worry and concern.

"No more deaths. Maria is enough, please." Well you see... Her hands cupped his face for a moment and he relished in the pleasure he got from her touch.

He wished he could stay there with her but he couldn't. Not with three pairs of eyes on them.

Tobias had not expected her to talk to him at all. She had been upset after asking him why Alvaro had shot Luca and why he was so upset and he did not answer.

"Fuego-" Her hopeful eyes left him with no other options. "Fine, she'll stay. Until the whole situation is over. But if I have a reason to doubt her..." He did not need to finish the sentence. They all knew how dangerous his threats were.

Eniola's smile was worth it. It was worth having a damned cop in his house.

"I'm not sure Alvaro would like this, Don Ferna." Mateo voiced and Tobias's face darkened.

"He has no permission to touch or interrogate her." He answered, rising from his seat and leaving with Eniola right behind him.

He knew what it meant. More questioning.

"Where did you know the Clara look alike from?" Eniola called as he finally left the house. The woman was tall and had a boring blonde hair but she looked nothing like Clara. Clara was more human with facial expressions and emotions and Amalie Foster was a robot.

"It's a long story, Princess." He paused for a moment. Noticing her left shoelace was not tied properly, he bent down to help her out. "Stay."

"Oh, thank you." She smiled as he got back up. "Now, tell me the story. We have until the cold gets to us."