Tulips 16.1 [A day with the Lieutenant]

JENNIE'S

Days move fast evidently whenever I'm with her. It was now on the 7th day of January, the only day in a month I got for myself for which also change. What change? Well, because I got all day to waste with her. It appears that she also took an off, which is odd. I mean of all days it has to be today? Coincidence?

Apart from that, six months are left until our inevitable wedding. However, everything wasn't decided yet. From the motif, invitations, wedding gowns, rings, and down to the most important thing; the venue. I got the right place in my mind where I wanted it to take place but I always shy away whenever I try to open the conversation regarding it. She might think I'm too eager to marry her. The typical me always leave the talk for tomorrow, an endless tomorrow.

We share food for breakfast down to dinner. Small talks that would lead to exchanging of quips. She's witty as hell and very fond of wordplay and me being the receiving end will end up in round-the-clock interpreting the meaning of her quips in depth. I drain a lot of brain cells whenever I'm with her. It was exhausting my brain yet too challenging to back down. Fun to be exact, having a person on the same wavelength as you. I kinda lie on that part, I must admit she outsmarts me sometimes leaving me in the dust. Every time that happen I would just stupidly stare at her, impressed. It became our day-to-day living.

At the present moment, I was on my way downstairs for breakfast. While I was treading the ornate staircase clicking and snapping sound was faintly heard from the living space. I made a rapid gasp and almost trip down on my feet. It wasn't sinister but the way her brown irises were all too focused whilst cleaning the black shining gun or pistol or whatsoever it is, she's too immersed into it. It fueled something in me. Was it fear? definitely not. It's the first time I ever had seen her hold a gun.

"You can stand there all you want and let your limbs fall asleep," she mutters not tearing her eyes away from the lethal thing. I shake my head as I walked towards her, slouching beside her inhaling her strong scent that nearly made my brain seize up.

"Too bad, I was enjoying myself gawking at you." she stops momentarily and briefly glances at me. She has this bemused in her face as she took me in. I'm grinning and wiggling my brows teasing her.

"I was waiting for you to scream and storm out." she jeered back.

"You think of me that little? Bare in mind I cut open human bodies since I learned how to use lancet. I've seen a lot horrid than that. At this point, a mere toy wouldn't scare me out." I lied. Of course, a gun is totally a different shit, I never held one in my life and probably never will. However, I don't want her to feel that I'm tiptoeing around her just because of that damn thing.

She's looking at me wearing a sly smile, "How brave of you." she trailed off, casting back on the dismantled gun wiping it with cotton rags. She pushes up the barrel bushing then glides the slide stop to push in the recoil spring and recoil spring plug before she inserts the magazine assembly snapping the safety. She then slowly turn to face me, taunting me with her darkened expression. "What you see in shallow is a toy, but it's unthinkable the amount of blood being shed with just a mere toy as you try to call."

I gulp hard watching her, even though she didn't out it, I knew the cruelty she dealt before and even at the present just about the look she gave off.

"You served and protect, right? No to violence?" I asked her nonchalantly, throwing her own words at her.

She went from stoic to amused and lazily smirk down at me "Jennie—I wouldn't hesitate to purge the life of a criminal if needed."

I pondered for a bit just staring at her brown irises. I was debating on how to react to this. Should I be bland and let it go like a passing storm or should I dwell on the fact that she end the life of many, felon of course. Even so, I didn't fear her, it's part of her job to protect people.