Tulips 13.2 [Under a White Christmas with a ... Friend]

JENNIE'S

After dinner, we were gathered at the fireplace in the living room waiting for the clock to strike at 12. It would be nice to lounge at the porch, but we might end up freezing to death before Christmas. The room was set for a warm temperature yet, I was still shuddering. It was beyond my knowledge how I end up sitting close to her. Not just sitting close, but dangerously next to each other, our sides were pressed together. And seems like Lisa doesn't bother by our close proximity without any gap between us.

It would be rude if I scooted away, it may lead to an unpleasant misconception, hence there's more to it, there's something within me that wouldn't want to be apart with her either.

Misunderstanding is the last thing I ever wanted to happen between us. It's making me confused the way my pulse gee-up whenever I'm around or close with her, to a Friend? To be fair, I never imagined myself dating a woman or being romantically involved in some way.

She was talking to my father over her third glass of cab sav, yet she's all too sober. Maybe wine doesn't have much effect on her? Since she's occupied, I busied myself reading and replying to the girls' greetings. I found myself leaning my own weight against her, leaning on the teensy warmth underneath her woolly cardigan. Slowly tilted my head and placed my cheeks on the curve of her toned shoulder. In all honesty, it felt more comfortable than a plush chair. I can feel how she slowly turn her head sideways. Yeah, I crossed through the line.

"You sleepy?" she drawled her inquiry, her warm breath slightly hitting my hair down to my scalp.

I responded with a shake of the head against her clothed skin, still casting my eyes on the phone screen, rapidly tapping as I type my response to Irene. I was completely melting against her warm body like a deflated balloon. I was inhaling the faint fragrant that was lingering in her room which always made me find myself relaxed. It was too strong invading my nostrils, now that I'm this close to her. I nearly drifted off to sleep.

I dunno when I started to feel comfortable about her nagging presence. I will spill the beans about how I ease up whenever she's around but either way, It's strangely nervy. In a good sense, I think?

 A friend can be this intimately close right? I mean I'm always this close with Irene and Rosie, just minus the spike of pulse and the racing of the heart and it would be all the same.

"You do know that too much exposure to devices such as phones could cause health problems, right Ms. Oncologist?" she drawled with all the sarcasm in her tone. Without even looking I know she's goddamn smirking.

The arrogance lace on her sentiments leads to the involuntary curling of my lips showing my clenched teeth. "Of course, I'm aware—RF radiation—Thermal effect." I rolled my eyes defensively, "For a Lieutenant who was always dealing with violence, surprising enough you knew a lot in medicine." 

"I know a thing or two around your field doctor," She flatly stated. "It's no brainer." she clicked her tongue afterward. She is talented at aggravating me. 

Ah, the gutsiness of this giant has no end. I held my phone to my lap as I raised my head, lazily boring my dead stare at her, "I'm quite sure you knew there's a lot of ways to kill a Lieutenant." I countered. 

She snorted instead of being intimidated, "Empty threats. All bark no bite." she perk her brow trying to test my limits.

I slowly pulled a smirk, as I stared at her darkly, "You're giving me ideas. Now, I'm considering biting you for real." I slowly drag my eyes down to her neck, supplying my notion. I clenched my jaw hard, it was entirely tempting I might really end up sucking her neck like a cold-blooded vampire deprived of crimson liquid.

Now it's my turn to snort, I laugh at her stunned reaction. She swiftly hissed and shake her head.

"You're domineering."

"I'll take that as a compliment." I giggled, she just sigh in defeat. I just notice we were left alone in the room. "Where's eomma and appa?"

"Beats me." she shrugs her shoulders and swirls her wine glass then slowly brings it to her lips. I watch how the liquor runs down her throat, I unconsciously gulp hard along with her.

"It's your 4th one." I blurted out thoughtlessly.

"5th, actually," she smirked over her wine, with eyes a little bit droopy. Someone's getting knocked out soon.

I just hummed and drop my head against her shoulder again. She didn't flinch or anything, at any rate, she slouch back to give me the right angle so I could be more comfortable. We both sigh at the same time, me in pure content and I don't know about her. An unrestrained smile tugs on my lips, it's bliss.

We were engulfed in a comforting silence after that, and of course, I decided to cut through it.

"How long have you been on service?" I started, scooting even closer to her.

She hummed, thinking through her response, "I have been in the job long enough."

"Which means you're skillful with guns now?"

A humourous chuckle slipped her lips, purely entertained about my question, "It's not just about guns doctor, we're maintaining law and order in this chaotic world, we didn't study for years and trained to death just for violence. We serve and protect." Now that's impeccable, I'm quite impressed.

"Was a doctor always held a scalpel all the time?" She added with a deep-seated sarcasm.

I met her eyes, and I took the chance to send her a glare. "Psh, humour me more Lieutenant." hissing was my only defense, so I did.

"Well—To sate your curiosity, I already held different types of guns—To pistols down to rifles. Heavy firearms, assault knife, a grenade? Name it."

"But, never held lipstick and make-up." I snorted as I mock at her. When I found her eyes again she's already deeply staring at me, I thought she's going to berate or snarl. But, no. She draws a timid grin, never leaving my eyes.

"You see, Jennie my callous hands weren't meant to hold cosmetics and beauty products." she set the glass away, showing her hands almost tattoed with scars of honor. I frown and quickly grab her hand. Feeling her warmth against my palm as I take hold of it firmly. I trace every dents and scar using my fingertip. I can feel her burning stares as it was like boring holes on the side of my face. I disregard it and flip her hands over to inspect her palm. Indeed, it has a considerable amount of callous like a man has, which a normal woman shouldn't have. However, considering her profession it's fairly foreseeable. Even with the presence of callous her hands were surprisingly soft. I was in the midst of scratching and pinching the callous in her palms when she called me out. 

I froze, did I push my limit? I was caught in the moment to even think about what I'm doing. It was my instinct acting over. I slowly bore my eyes at her. However, I was gobsmacked my eyes were all glued on the curve playing on her lips. She's smiling, a genuine one. It was too bright, that it nearly blinded me. Howbeit, her focus wasn't on me. I turn my body around following her sight, witnessing the white flakes pelted down beneath the sky slowly covering the entire lawn, and apparently the entirety of Korea.

"A white Christmas indeed." she husked.

A grin took place on my face taking the sight with my hands still clasping against her warmness, she didn't protest so I heed it no mind. I heave a sigh, slowly turning to face her. I found her eyes that were already boring at mine, probably was already gaping at me before I made a turn... Her eyes were filled with something I always found myself lost at. Mind you, she wasn't easy to read. But, I was damn sure there was something hidden beneath those brown irises. Nonetheless, I tug a smile, a grateful smile.

It wasn't bad after all, having under a white Christmas with a Friend slash Fiancée.