Tulips 38 [Wedding No More]

LISA'S

Thank goodness I kept my body and soul together from last night without a scratch.

The episode languishes a bit under the weight of familiar grief and the anguish of disappointment and eventually washes over me coming up into realization. The accident played a big part in making me open my eyes accepting the dreadful reality, I was alright marching into phantasm. Was Jennie just a figment of my imagination? The decision I was about to tell off might be one of the great sorrows of my life. All around me I see rage and dejection starting to erupt.

I twisted the door and pushed it inwardly, not bothering to hide my fierce scowl. She welcomed me with a small frown and her mouth tightened. Her eyes seem droopy, and appeared glum-looking, and had a blanket flung around her shoulders as she dash towards my direction. Did she sleep on the couch waiting for me?

"You—you didn't come home last night? Where have you been? You haven't answered any of my calls. Were you fine?" She examines me worriedly, grabbing both of my shoulders, the blanket was now piled up on the floor, "Are you hungry? I'll make you breakfast right away." she asked softly hinting with concern. She took another step forward completely leaning against me and was about to coil her arms around me hence, I broke off from her hold and took a step towards the corner, her eyes still narrowed quizzically and somewhat tense, watching me carefully.

My expression is a little scornful, my hand a little cool and casual, not altogether friendly. As I rested on the single couch leaving her still standing with downcast eyes she could not know how lustrously she appeared before me. Yet, I fight the urge to wrap her around my arms. 

She could look as gloomy and troubled and maybe her heart stuttered, for my ferocious eyes were resting on her.

"We should call off the wedding." I flatly stated words rang loudly cutting through the silence.

It left her speechless, snapping her eyes away from the floor as she stare through me. Her face fell and took on a doleful expression. The voice never leaves her mouth. But, I guess it was quite enough for me to know how she got affected by my declaration as her eyes spoke louder than her own voice. Jennie's bottom lip quivered and tears gathered in her eyes and inch by inch glides down her cheeks, it pains me seeing her trembling. I was beginning to think I'd made a dreadful mistake. Hence, I steeled myself and stand my conviction.

"Don't worry about our parents, I will explain everything to them. That I am not still ready for the wedding. I will shoulder all the blame. You don't have to force yourself anymore doing something you clearly don't like." I made sure to graze the words with heavy irony.

She comes forward standing just a foot away from me. Even so, not ever dare to draw closer from my breathing space, she was scared stiff from the vacancy and the gloom I was wearing on my face. "No, don't. Please don't do this Lisa. Listen to me first. I can explain everything." Her voice, which had been previously smooth and clear, now trembled and quaked with every sentence.

"You can't arrogantly impute your lack of resolve to someone else—to me. I was no fool, Jennie. I won't dance along anymore." I was blinded by rage, maybe jealousy, or mayhaps, the idea of being betrayed by her. "And—remember Jennie, just because I haven't said anything doesn't mean I'm clueless," I spoke every word in the stern.

She was clearly annoyed by my assertion, as you could tell from the scowl on her face. "For once Lisa—just for once throw your ego aside and listen to me! Stop shutting me down." she ruffled her charcoal black hair, groaning after, as she bore her pleading eyes on me, "All you have to do is to trust me!"

I sniggered upon the mention of a certain word.

Trust? The term sounds foreign to me. All the more, when it slipped out from the person whom I put all the trust into, nonetheless, dares to break it apart.