93. globeflower

"The Dreyes family used to be more powerful politically than it is now," Armin began.

that's-

the first princess's maternal relatives

i don't know much about that house

"Currently the most powerful member of that house would be the first princess herself- her loyalties lie with the Dreyes family- not with the kingdom itself."

all right- i mean i could say something similar myself- the kingdom as a whole isn't my priority

but if the ackerman duchy was threatened

i would have to do something

"When she was younger the Dreyes family was stronger, a union between the Ackerman family and a member of the royal family with connections to the Dreyes family would've solidified that position."

right- but it fell through

"I thought it had something to do with that," I hummed, recalling my conversation with Levi.

"Without the marriage the Dreyes family soon lost power- but they continued to pressure her into marriage." Armin paused, thinking, "this part is speculation on my end but I don't think she only wants the marriage to elevate the status of her maternal family."

if that was the case she would've married someone else by now

"You're right, there are plenty of powerful people who would be interested in her," Mikasa chimed in.

i can understand not being comfortable with a lack of choice

as the first princess she might be one of the few people who's allowed to choose

that's the worst part

"So she wants Levi specifically- for whatever reason," I frowned, puzzling over it.

"It might be because that's who she always thought she was going to marry- or because she genuinely believes that he's still attached to her."

"No one expected him to find a partner, most women chose to avoid him, seeing as the first princess has a reputation when it comes to her stake on Levi." Mikasa shot me a knowing look.

honestly, i would've never approached him if-

IF I DIDN'T EMBARRASS MYSELF IN FRONT OF A CROWD

i would've settled for like . just some dude

"So I've realized," I sighed, rubbing my temple.

HONESTLY MORE GRIEF THAN IT'S WORTH

i love levi <3

but also . i do so much and he like . is nice to me 40% of the time

"So the first princess expected to always have Levi- and is struggling to come to terms with the fact that it isn't the case," I summarized. "I thought that-" my voice faltered, "I had a feeling that it might be something like that."

the root cause of all of this is beyond all of us

there are structures in this world that continually push people just like us to clash in this way

i can't control that

"How does Eren come into this?" I met Armin and Mikasa's eyes, concern reflected back at me.

levi's right

it's not my fault- i shouldn't sympathize with someone who has put me through so much shit

even if i know the reason why it doesn't change the fact that i'm a person- someone who should be allowed to love freely

"Eren gets most of his opinions of Levi through the first princess, and Levi's public appearances," Mikasa took over from Armin.

i figured as much

"Levi has a reputation for not being very active in social circles, so the only woman he's ever been seen even remotely close to is the first princess."

"So Eren sees this as a dramatic shift in personality- and I'm responsible for all of it," I muttered, under my breath.

im angry

somehow- hearing the explanations i've been searching for this entire time

is doing nothing but make me more irritated

it's so stupid

do they not have any consideration for the people they're hurting?

all of this?

over a person that they don't have any right to dictate

"I am even less sympathetic towards the two of them," I spoke up after a long period of silence. "I'm sure that wasn't the answer you wanted to hear, but I wouldn't be telling the truth if I said anything else."

"That's-" Armin started to speak up, glancing to the side at Mikasa who's expression was eerily calm.

"Thank you both for telling me this, I appreciate it, truly," I took her look as a sign that I should start to leave.

"Eren is wrong," Mikasa spoke up stopping me in my tracks. "You shouldn't feel sympathetic towards him, I would prefer it if you didn't, maybe he would see it then."

you-

"I was sure that you of all people would never forgive me for saying something like that," I turned around, laughing dryly.

i'll take that as your permission then

don't complain later on

don't regret telling me all of this

"I realized that he wasn't going to change if it was only Armin and I suggesting it," she responded resolutely.

as if i'll be able to do any better

"What would the two of you do if I told Eren about all of this?" I asked, glancing between the two of them.

im not interested in selling you out-

it's just-

weird that this is even happening to begin with

"We plan on letting him know after this, maybe it'll help get it through to him," Armin spoke up.

that's probably the safe bet

he seems close to the two of them

so they'll get off lightly

"Good luck to the two of you then," I shot them a small smile, trying to lighten up a bit, "hopefully the three of us can get along a bit better."

"Of course!"

"Sure."

The door clicked shut behind me.

____________________________

wahoo !! y/n can keep being mad and get her revenge without guilt as a treat <3 (but also bc she deserves it and tragic backstory or not the first princess is a bully lol) 

hope yall are doing well <3

- ami