37. lilac

OK OK GAME PLAN

"Kuchel? Let's gather the staff in the main hall," I walked back into my room.

"Of course," she nodded heading out of the room.

There's a lot to do.

"Petra how much do you know about the rumors that have been circulating?"

"It's mostly just," she paused, picking her words. "Jealousy- you haven't really interacted with them that much so it's not like they have much to say about you personally."

Well it's nice 2 know that I look perfect from the outside <3

"You don't have to be careful about my feelings, I'm ok."

"Well- you've been criticized because of your birth, that's mostly what people have been pointing out. They don't think that you're fit for the Duke, it doesn't help that he's been so busy lately that he hasn't spent time with you." She continued.

OKIE DOKIE

"They don't know anything about me so they're uncomfortable with me being in charge," I muttered quietly to myself.

Not to mention my status makes it even easier for whoever was sent by the first princess to ruin my reputation.

NOT THAT I EVEN HAD ONE <3333

So I need to lay boundaries and prove myself.

I'll just make it as hard as possible for the First Princess.

That's the plan!

"Petra when we go downstairs point out to me which of the staff seems to hate me the most."

"Will do!"

ALSO ALSO-

"Hanji?"

"Yes!"

"Those knights that I met before- are they busy?"

I need as many as possible.

"I think that Eld and Gunther went on a mission but-" she paused, thinking. "Oulo is definitely free-"

OK THAT WORKS

HE WAS THE ONE WHO WAS KINDA MEAN 2 HANJI

I HOPE HE PAID HER IN THE END-

"Go get him please <3333"

"Ok!" Hanji ran off.

OK I THINK THAT'S PRETTY MUCH EVERYTHING I NEEDED TO DO

"Can I ask what you're planning?" Petra asked, her face lit up with curiosity.

I'M GLAD YOU ASKED

YOU SEE I'M A BIT OF A GENIUS MYSELF

<333333333333

"They obviously care a lot about Levi, so I figured I would show off a bit," I paused. "I'll announce that I'm going to start controlling the household, it's my job after all. If everything works out they'll understand that I'm capable of being the Duchess."

"And the Knights?"

"They're Levi's personal guard right? I'm a lot more convincing when they know that Levi is behind me."

If everything works out- it'll at least be harder for certain people to act out.

"I'd like to reward the people who trust in me- so it would be helpful if you would point them out."

YOU GENIUS Y/N

IKIKIK

"You're getting replaced? So soon?" I heard a taunting male voice getting closer.

"DO YOU THINK SO?" Hanji's voice followed soon after, full of concern.

I WOULD NEVER REPLACE HANJI

WAR CRIMES

SO MANY

"I WOULD NEVER REPLACE YOU HANJI <33333" I shouted back.

"THANK YOU Y/N!" She rushed in pulling Oulo behind her.

HI MAN WHO WAS SPILLING LIES

"Kuchel should be mostly ready at this point," Petra murmured, coming up from behind me.

OKIE DOKIE

"The two of you walk behind me and look scary," I instructed Oulo and Hanji, making my way out of the room. "Petra just stay within whispering distance."

I DONT WANT 2 HAVE 2 SAY 'WHAT' BC I CANT HEAR HER

SHE'LL HAVE TO STAND LIKE 1 FOOT AWAY

YEAH OK ITS FINE

IDC IF THEY ALL THINK IM DATING MY ATTENDANTS

I WELCOME IT

OK TIME 2 LOOK BIG SCARY AND IMPOSING

THE MORE INTIMIDATING THE BETTER

"See the group furthest from us? They're not looking this way," Petra murmured as we entered the main hall, "those would be the ones who have the worst perception of you."

OKOK

I continued walking stopping in front of the group, my gaze drifting over to the people Petra had pointed out.

I don't recognize any of them.

"The girls who came in during the tea incident? Where did they go?" I whispered to Petra, eyes scanning the crowd.

I would have assumed that they would be part of that group-

"You didn't hear? The Duke fired them and moved some of the staff back to the capital soon after that-" She trailed off.

HE DID WHAT???

I KNEW HE MOVED SOME PEOPLE AROUND BUT-

HE FIRED THEM ??? BC OF ME ???

"I'm sorry that I haven't been able to speak with you all sooner," I began addressing the staff- "As the Duchess, I'm supposed to be overseeing this household- it must have looked like I was ignoring my duties up until now." A look around the crowd showed that that was the case.

I mean I 100% was so it's a fair criticism <3

an angel like me deserves 2 slack off

PREACH

"Now that I'm appropriately settled I'll begin fulfilling my duties," I glanced at the group Petra had pointed out, they were staring back with disinterested eyes.

I mean I would be bored 2 but <33

"If you have concerns about me or the way I choose to run things say them to my face," I held their gazes. "I wouldn't want rumors ruining my husband's reputation, let alone rumors that specifically target whether or not I am fit to be his wife."

Afterall !

I FOUGHT FOR THIS FAKE MARRIAGE

YES YOU DID!

"I'm not going to tolerate any rumors I hear. I know it's been a long time since the Ackerman family has had a Duchess so you might not be used to it, but Levi has entrusted me with that role and I'm not about to bring shame to this family." I shot the room a smile.

That's right- this is my house.

________________________________________

fun fact <3 the google doc i write this in has over 200 pages- ITS SO LAGGY I MIGHT HAVE TO MAKE A NEW ONE SOON

- ahhmi