134. helichrysum

"Historia?" Eren scoffed at the idea, "what qualifications does she have to rule?"

the very same question can be asked of you

"After all that has happened do, you really expect the Ackerman duchy to back anyone who they don't already recognize as a close ally?" Levi frowned down at Eren. "Tell me what you've done to prove your abilities, what have you done to make yourself trustworthy?"

at every opportunity, eren has made it painfully clear what he'll do to get his way

"I've-"

"At every opportunity you have rejected my goodwill," I cut him off. "When you first came to the ducal estate I welcomed you like family, I even avoided spreading the fact that you had broken into the office as one last shred of my trust in you."

what did you do with that?

"You betrayed her trust, our trust," Levi scowled, pulling me closer to his side. "The only heirs to the throne who have shown anything but indifference or outright dislike for the Duchess are the second and third princess."

"I have no interest in the throne," Annie cut in, addressing the king directly. "Historia is more than capable."

"Historia hasn't even been educated in battle strategy or anything related to leadership- how can you possibly suggest that she would be capable of taking over?" The first princess spoke up, glancing anxiously between us and the king.

if eren takes over she knows that she can recover her position

"Father- I didn't realize you were planning on dying tomorrow," Annie gasped loudly.

"Neither Eren nor I are ready to take over a position as grand as the throne tomorrow- but look at it logically," Historia broke her silence, speaking clearly and confidently. "This country won't last if its leader lacks support and trust from the nobility that governs its many provinces."

SLAY

"I say this not as Levi Ackerman but as the Duke-" Levi paused addressing the gathered nobles. "I am aware that my own personal feelings regarding the prince and princess may be coloring my opinions but can you, as members of nobility trust a leader who has no qualms unearthing your personal business and fabricating lies to manipulate your families?"

it has to be a rude awakening for hitch and eren

the realization that many of the people in this room only align themselves with the two of them due to their positions

the moment you do anything that threatens the personal security of these nobles they will all scatter and find a new person to leech off of

"They're right."

"I heard that the third princess is quite competent in her own right!"

"We've just witnessed how she carries herself in moments of high stress- she was able to think rationally and get us all to evaluate where we stand!"

wow what helpful and insightful comments

"If education is what the third princess needs I fail to see the issue with starting now and fostering a new heir," I paused. "Clearly whatever education the first prince has received has entirely failed him."

historia has amassed everything a strong ruler needs to have

and she's a girlboss so

i'm inclined to support her

"Father," Historia bowed towards the king. "You have many children, if at any point I prove to be an insufficient heir you have every opportunity to educate a new one."