25. catsear

"Or this isn't my driver and someone is riding us straight into a trap," Levi's voice dropped to a low whisper.

WOW WHAT A SAD WAY OF LOOKING AT IT

"Has that happened before?" I frowned.

HE MAKES IT SOUND LIKE IT HAS-

"Even if it hadn't it's stupid not to be cautious of those you employ," Levi responded- barely listening as I spoke his focus shifted.

"I don't know what you've been through but it's a luxury to be able to have servants taking care of your every need- give them the benefit of the doubt." I paused, "besides, neither of us gave him any direction- it's on us."

I have nothing against punishing those who are truly out to hurt you but-

Staying suspicious of everyone around you all the time.

That's no way to live.

"You're too naive-" Levi let out a short dry laugh.

"You're ridiculous- how are we supposed to live together if all you're going to be is suspicious of me? Do you not even trust Farlan? Or your guard?" I let out a long sigh.

WE'RE SUPPOSED 2 BE BESTIES <3 SO THAT EVEN WHEN WE GET A DIVORCE WE CAN STILL SEND LETTERS & GOSSIP ABT THE ROYAL FAMILY

"I don't trust you Y/N," the air in the carriage suddenly felt cold and uncomfortable, "don't assume that I trust you just because we're married. You'd be stupid to trust me- I didn't agree to this proposal so that we could be friends. You and I both have things to gain from this arrangement- but I do have the upperhand in this relationship."

Right I know that-

"So what do you want me to do Levi?" My frown deepened, "I have no option but to trust you- I have to trust that you'll uphold our contract, I have to trust that you're going to protect me in situations like this, I have to trust that you won't kill me the moment I start to ask too much. If I didn't trust you then I wouldn't be here- I wouldn't have chosen you."

Last resort or what I chose you-

I chose you over the random gacha of arranged marriage by my father.

The only thing I gain from this arrangement is choice.

"I'm not going to fucking kill you or break our contract," Levi shook his head in response.

Exactly.

"And I know that- that's why I'm still here. You should trust me- I have nothing and no one to betray you to, even if I wanted to."

WHICH I DON'T TO CLARIFY

you're hot and rich

what more could I ask for

"I'm not scared of the driver or wherever we're going because I trust you- you don't see me as expendable- you gave me Kuchel, you're letting me oversee the household budget. So obviously you trust me to some extent- or at least you trust that you have the upperhand. You won't let that go- you won't let me die because I'm still useful."

A deep silence fell between the two of us.

You're a great last choice Levi.

"You're in a shit situation."

"It would be better if we were friends," I groaned, releasing a breath I didn't know I was holding.

"Tough luck," Levi rolled his eyes, chuckling.

Sooo

"We should probably ask if the driver knows what he's doing- even if we're not heading towards death I need to know if there's a bathroom where we're headed."

"Sure thing," Levi knocked on the side of the carriage causing it to slowly move to a stop.

"We were just wondering where we were going-" I stuck my head out of one of the small windows shouting towards the front.

"She has to take a shit-" Levi called after me.

NO-

"It would be great if there was a bathroom <3" I whipped around kicking Levi in the shin.

THEY MAKE ME WEAR HEELS IM GOING TO KICK PPL WITH THEM

"You wanted to be friends?"

"Friends are allowed to bully each other <3"

I would know this bc I've had 2909324839483048 friends in my lifetime <3

"Good to know," Levi rolled his eyes in response.

YOU'RE NOT ALLOWED 2 BULLY ME THOUGH-

"Kuchel told me where to go- I don't know what's going to be there. I'm sorry Duchess." The driver called back to me.

KUCHEL IS THE ONE SENDING US INTO A TRAP ???

"Good luck taking a shit," Levi leaned back in his seat.

Levi trust no one except 4 his adopted mom <3

"So now that you heard that Kuchel picked the location you're just going to let them take us?"

NOW ITS MY TURN TO BE SUSPICIOUS

WE DON'T EVEN KNOW IF THAT'S TRUE

:/

"It's exactly the kind of thing she would do," Levi closed his eyes.

WOW YOUR GUARD IS RIDICULOUSLY DOWN RIGHT NOW.

"I'm going to stab you."

"Is that something else friends do?"

"Of course!" I paused, "you'd better watch out I'm going to kill you in your sleep."

"I'd like to see you try."

"You're too confident- what happened to 'I don't trust anyone I'm edgy Levi'" I grumbled.

"I trust that you don't have anything to gain by killing me," Levi trailed off getting more comfortable.

"I trust that you're a sad old man :/"

"Whatever you say."

________________________

BE AWARE OF RELATIONSHIPS WITH UNHEALTHY POWER DYNAMICS <333

they end up happening a ton in fanfiction- including this one ://

just bc there's a lot of popular media tht includes these sorts of relationships doesn't mean that they're good in any way. n e way <3333

- amiiii