102. epimedium

"Send someone to prepare the carriages, we should head to the capital immediately," Levi issued his command before hearing what Isabel had to say.

right we should deal with this directly

"I'll start putting together documents that we might need," I nodded, beginning to grab unfinished paperwork and contracts from both of our desks.

"Can I please explain!" Isabel grumbled, slamming her hands on the desk to get our attention.

"Go on," Levi responded, not bothering to look up as he handed me a stack of papers to bring along.

we're going to need more than this- it's important that we keep up appearances

"Right- as I was saying," she frowned, "they're saying that your marriage is fake, that the 'Duchess is manipulating the Duke into playing house.'" She mimicked a self-absorbed noble for the last part, crossing her arms and laughing haughtily.

they-

"Isabel is that all?" Levi's jaw tensed.

"That's all," she nodded tersely.

"Work with Kuchel to prepare for our departure, I want to leave as soon as possible," he glanced over to me. "Is there anything you need to prepare?"

"Right," I paused, "we'll need several different outfits, it's important that we don't seem shaken up, please ask Petra to bring everything we have."

i trust her with that

"Right away," she quickly exited the room, shutting the door behind her.

i knew this was going to happen-

i mean they aren't wrong- it was arranged- we were playing house

but it's real now-

"I don't think that the brat found the contract," Levi reached for his keys, unlocking a drawer at the bottom of his desk. "Everything is in order."

so he's making it up

"He doesn't have any evidence," I let out a quiet sigh of relief.

it's a matter of reputation- they're slandering my image and dragging levi down with it

the ackerman name would look weak if levi was able to be manipulated in such a way

even if it isn't true

"I'm sure there's something," Levi held the contract in his hands, scanning over its contents before placing it in the stack of papers to bring. "Who knows, it might be helpful."

"He doesn't have any physical evidence but he did spend over a week with us," I frowned, "it's more than likely that his word will be used against us."

and maybe-

"You're the villain, I'm being manipulated into a relationship with you. The princess and her supporters will come forward to say that you're some horrible monster, the prince will join her and talk about all of the things he saw firsthand living with us."

maybe i should've been a little bit nicer

"And you will be urged to leave me, indebted to the royal family forever," I grumbled. "It's a good plan."

"They aren't accounting for one thing."

?

"That plan may have worked a few months ago, unfortunately for the two of them I don't give a shit about the 'Ackerman' name."

so you're saying-

"I don't care if my last name gets dragged through the mud a little bit."

"I think it'll be more than just a little," I punched his shoulder lightly. "We don't know exactly what they're saying yet, let's go there before we worry too much."

this isn't anything like what they've done so far

but i'd be crazy to let this get to me after everything else

i don't know who's on our side but if historia and annie were willing-

"We have the opportunity to turn this against the two of them, if we're able to prove that this is slander and bring the public on our side we can prevent them from coming after us."

"I can think of at least two people who would be better rulers," I hummed, gathering all of the papers into a folder.

more than all of that there's something im looking forward to

"Once that's done we can have that wedding," I beamed.

"As long as we aren't forced to divorce first," Levi chuckled dryly.

"Don't even joke about that-"

every time we joke or poke fun over something happening it does-

I DON'T WANT A DIVORCE

I WANT TO LIVE PEACEFULLY

"It's true, I could divorce you and then come crawling back to you proclaiming my love," Levi joked.

you're laughing but

"By all means if you want to grovel in front of me go ahead- preferably without giving other people an opportunity to steal you."

awfully possessive

I DESERVE TO BE

THE AMOUNT OF SHIT I'VE HAD TO GO THROUGH- IM OWED THIS AT LEAST

"Farlan will be staying back to take care of the Duchy in our absence," Levi completely ignored me, changing the subject.

"Right."

poor farlan

"When we're done you should give him some time off," I came up behind Levi pulling him into a side hug.

i think that-

i think that this will blow over

but i'm worried about what will happen before that

"We'll be alright," Levi hummed, his arms wrapping around me. "Even if it isn't fine, nothing is going to change between the two of us."

"What if I wanted you to leave for the princess?" I muttered, burying my face in his back.

"You'll have shit time trying to get me to marry into that family-"

"I'M FROM THAT FAMILY!"

"Yes, and? They're a mess," Levi groaned.

YOU'RE RIGHT BUT I'M INSULTED .

"I'm going to kill you before we even get to the capital- I'll really become the villain."

"I'd like to see you try."

"You're seriously going to get it-"

"Sure thing."

I know that there will be an end to all of this, I know that one way or another the two of us will make it out.

But I don't know what will happen before that, I don't know who the two of us will be or what we'll have to do to make it.

I guess it's because of that-

It's because I don't know that I want to make plans.

At least I can pretend to know who we'll be and what we'll do.

That's enough.

__________________

idk abt you guys but this week has been exhausting ): i finally have time to rest so i'm going to be taking that opportunity <3 you'd better take care of yourselves !

- ami