Chapter 29

• Flashbacks •
• Three days before •

"Nat, there's a package for you."

Natasha lifted her gaze from the laptop in front of her. She tried to search whatever she could find in SHIELD's data about any hints of Dreykov being alive.

Wanda came into her office and put it in front of her.

"Who is it from?" The Russian asked as she stared at the well-wrapped box.

"No clue. But Maria gave it to me saying it was for you from your old friend."

"Oh. Thanks."

The witch nodded with a small smile as she left the room, leaving Natasha to deal with the package.

Natasha picked up the unnamed box and examined it for a moment to guess what was inside.

She doubted that it was something dangerous as it came through SHIELD.

She unwrapped the box carefully and furrowed her eyebrows as some red glowing vials were found inside the box.

But a thin layer of paper caught her attention as it dropped onto the desk.

She picked it up and realized it was a photo. Noticing who was in the picture, she gasped.

"Shit."

"You brought it back here?!" Yelena asked with a raised tone.

"What am I supposed to do with this? No notes or anything, just a picture of us when we were kids. I need to trace where it was posted from."

"What is this?" Steve asked as he grabbed the vials that were tied together.

"I asked Tony to help me analyze it, and he started to ramble all the things on the periodic table but in conclusion, it's a synthetic gas and it connects to mind something." Natasha told the super soldier as he raised an eyebrow.

"It's a counteragent to chemical subjugation. The gas immunizes the brain's neuropathways from external manipulation." Yelena added as she went to a room which Natasha and Steve followed behind.

"Maybe in English next time?" Steve said.

"That's what I said." Natasha rolled her eyes.

"It antidot kontrol' nad soznan (It's an antidote to mind control)." Yelena said as she shoved a few clothes from the closet into her duffle bag.

"Ochen' umno (Real mature)." Natasha cut her off.

"Uhm, maybe the real English this time?" Steve said as he had no clue what the two Russians were arguing about.

Natasha ignored him as she looked at the younger woman.

"I'm not here trying to be your friend, but you need to tell me why I am receiving these vials the same week that I know Dreykov is still alive." Natasha spat.

"Well, what was I supposed to do? You're the only superhero person that I know." Yelena said with a shaky tone.

"I killed him, Yelena. He's dead. Dreykov's dead. It took almost destroying the entire city just to get to him." Natasha said, still in denial.

"If you're so sure, then tell me what happened. Tell me exactly." Yelena looked straight into the redhead's eyes.

"We rigged bombs."

"Who's we?"

"Clint Barton. Killing Dreykov was the final step in my defection to SHIELD."

"Simple as that?" Yelena asked sarcastically.