Chapter 53

A day after they got back from Tony's cottage, Natasha made contact to meet Bruce and they decided to take it to a diner.

Bruce was truly different from the last time they saw him. He had been isolating himself in order to study the Hulk by himself in a place where only Tony knew—which they had a secret lab together outside the States.

Scott was very confused at what was in front of him. It was surely not what he thought he would see—the Hulk was not the Hulk.

"Come on, I feel like I'm the only one eating here. Try some of that." Bruce pushed the plate to Scott, "Have some eggs."

"I'm so confused." Scott said, shaking his head slightly as he looked at the man in front of him.

"These are confusing times." Bruce chuckled.

"Right, no, no. That's not what I meant." Scott said.

"Nah, I get it. I'm kidding! I know, it's crazy. I'm wearing shirts now." Bruce said.

"Yeah. What? How? Why?" Scott rambled.

"Five years ago, we got our asses beat. Except it was worse for me- 'cause I lost twice. First, Hulk lost, then Banner lost- and then, we all lost." Bruce explained to him.

"No one blamed you, Bruce." Natasha said.

"I did."

Natasha looked down and Steve took her hand in his.

"For years, I've been treating the Hulk like he's some kind of disease- something to get rid of. But then, I start looking at him as the cure. Eighteen months in the gamma lab. I put the brains and the brawn together and now, look at me. Best of both worlds." Bruce said proudly.

That was when some kids interrupted as they wanted to take a picture with him. Scott helped him snap the picture awkwardly after Bruce asked for his help.

Steve and Natasha sat awkwardly at their place, looking at the new celebrity among them.

"Bruce." Steve called but he was still in his own world.

"Bruce." He called again, "About what we were saying."

"Right." Bruce replied, changing the focus back on the table, "The whole time travel do-over? Eh, guys, it's outside of my area of expertise."

"Well, you pulled this off." Natasha said, pointing to his successful change, "I remember a time when that seemed pretty impossible, too."

"Okay,  here we go. Time travel test number one." Bruce announced.

"Oh gosh, I hope this will lead to something." Natasha said to Steve who was standing beside her, watching Bruce setting up the things.