33: A Leap of Faith

Chapter 33: A Leap of Faith

"Life is a gamble. There are no sureties. If you want something badly, you'd have to trust your heart and your instincts and then take a leap of faith."
[Author Unknown]

Dave

"Damn I fucked up" Dave said out loud and groaned as he woke up to an empty bed. This is not how he saw vacation turning out. It was supposed to be peaceful, stress free, and a complete turn up for everybody. But it happened again. Millie called and as usual disaster struck. The match had been struck and a fire was ignited. He could see flashes of the night before and they weren't pretty. He just figured if he got drunk enough that he could drink Millie and this whole she wanted to talk to Kairi business away but it proved to be an absolute failure. Alcohol was never the answer. It was just a temporary blinder and fix that most of the time caused more harm than good. All it did was make matters worse. A vibe is what this trip was supposed to be but instead of a vibe it was anything but that at the moment because Dave and April were doing everything but vibing. Dave knew that April was going to pretend to be happy for the remainder of the trip and he wasn't here for that so he had to fix it. She had been happy about this whole trip, the wedding planning, and just being with the family on a beautiful island.

Dave honestly didn't know how to fix it at this point though. He just knew he was going to end up in the dog house and that's somewhere he had never been or wanted to be. He was low key scared of what being in the doghouse consisted of. All he knew was that he had to make shit right so that meant he was going to do whatever it took. He was supposed to be the one who calmed April down and just be there for her but he had done everything but that last night. He knew something was wrong when he answered Millie's call and April's face hadn't moved a muscle. He had seen the distress all in her eyes last night and still he pushed and pushed when she didn't need that at the moment. She just needed her man, some time, and a good ole booty rub and he gave her neither. Then he thought about how she had come at him like he was the enemy. She had come a little too hostile from the jump and although he knew she didn't mean it he did feel away. He thought the conversation could've gone another route but then again with two people in their feelings anything was bound to happen especially when Millie was involved.

Then he thought about how he had said to her that they needed to have this talk for Kairi. He instantly felt bad because he knew everything that she had actually done for Kairi. She kept her ain't shit mother alive for her sake knowing damn well if the roles were reversed Millie wouldn't dare hold the same sentiments. He hadn't thought about how she had felt or how she was feeling. He figured since she got the fight out of her system that she was good but nope she wasn't. Shit had changed Millie was no longer just his ain't shit baby mama she was also the woman sitting in jail behind bars for conspiring to have his woman killed. So shit was very different nowadays just like the situation itself hit different. With what had gone down between April and Millie their relationship or lack thereof most likely would never be mendable. If the shoe was on the other foot Dave wouldn't dare try and mend shit and anyone who put a hit out on him would be DOA so he understood if she was still pissed over that. At the same time he would never truly understand what April had actually done not only for their child but also for himself. Yet knowing what he knows along with all the street codes he knew damn well that Millie along with the others should've been dead. But it was Millie his child's mother and no matter what she did he just couldn't have her killed. Being Kairi's mother sort of made her invincible to a certain degree.