Vol. 1: Chapter 1.3 - Against the Class

A 100,000-yen monthly allowance was no joke. If students receive them unconditionally, it will surely pose future problems, even for a government as rich as Japan's. That's not even counting the cost of maintaining every top-tier facility inside the campus.

"Shocked by the amount of points you've been given? This school evaluates its students' talents. Everyone here has passed the entrance examination, which itself speaks to your value and potential. The amount you've received reflects the evaluation of your worth. You can use your points without restraint. After graduation, however, all of your points return to the school. Because it's impossible to exchange your points for cash, there's no advantage to saving them. Once points have been deposited into your account, it's up to you on how to spend them. Do as you like. In the event that you don't want to spend your points, you may transfer them to someone else. However, extorting money from your peers is not allowed. This school monitors bullying very carefully." Chabashira-sensei finished.

As bewilderment spread among the students, Chabashira-sensei looked over the room.

"Well, it appears no one has any questions. I hope that you enjoy your time here as students-" Before she could turn around and leave, I raised my hand and called for her attention.

"Sensei, may I ask you a few questions?"

The cheering stopped as soon as they heard me. Every single one of my classmates' eyes was glued towards me, even Horikita.

"You're Ayanokouji Kiyotaka-kun, right? Feel free to ask your question. I'll answer anything that I'm permitted to," she replied.

I should probably get used to this by now. If I'm going to establish myself as an exemplary student, attention was a natural outcome.

"Firstly I'm concerned about the mechanic of transferring points. To make sure that no one gets scammed during a negotiation, is there a system that can avoid that?" I asked.

My question rose to a clamor among my classmates.

"I didn't think of that," said one guy.

"It's a good thing he asked that..." said one girl.

This question was a pretty good opener to get their undivided attention. I established a little bit of my practical thinking which would surely make them trust me, even if it's just a teeny-tiny bit.

"There is, actually. If negotiations with complicated conditions ever happen, you can make them foolproof by signing a memorandum. In short, a contract system. Any other questions?" answered Chabashira-sensei.

I predicted that they would at least have that system in place. At this moment, Chabashira-sensei's disinterested expression has changed to that of curiosity. But now that everything's set up, I'll amp it up to my main question.

"Then, can you please explain the details of the point system?" I asked in a neutral yet serious manner.

Once again, my classmates started to murmur. In my peripheral vision, Horikita was especially staring at me with quite an intensity. You could even say that she was glaring at me at this point.

"I'm sorry, but I cannot do that." Chabashira-sensei declined my question, but instead of looking apologetically or angry, she smiled instead.

"Why? Can you please tell us the reason?" I pressed on.

"No. Those are questions that are beyond my authority to answer." She looked at me with a smirk.

It's like she was challenging me to continue. 'Is that all? Make me spill the beans, boy' is what I infer from her expression.