Vol. 4: Chapter 11.2 - The Mind of an Elite

Final Day, 7:05 PM.

After getting separated from my groupmates, a little over five hours ago, I immediately entered the room that I was assigned to.

The first thing I did was rest for a couple of hours. Despite my eagerness to work as soon as I got inside, my body gave in to exhaustion.

Honestly, if I knew that my efforts for an all-nighter will amount to nothing, I would've slept the third night off. Running around the ship to investigate during the rest day already put a toll on my body. It's especially tough given how hard it was for me to conduct a quick yet proper interview.

No one was inside, but I assume Mori-san and the others came and left when I was asleep.

Anyway, I got to work the moment I woke up. I cast aside the heap of notes containing information on possible VIPs. While I did a lot of it, most of the specific details were obtained thanks to Hirata-kun and Kushida-san's efforts.

However, after the fifth meeting, I figured that all of those might've been unnecessary.

This time, I may have just realized the last-- No... the only clue that was needed to crack the code. In other words, our previous efforts may have amounted to nothing. But if this last piece hit the mark... I win.

I sat at the desk, taking my phone along with a pen and paper. I scanned my memory and remembered how my list evolved these past three days.

Firstly, I separated everyone's names accordingly for the sole reason of sorting convenience. I then marked the names of the VIPs that I knew. (See Figure 4.1)

In our class, Class B, the three VIPs are Karuizawa Kei, Minami Setsuya, and Kushida Kikyou. And thanks to Kouenji-kun's reckless yet fruitful endeavor, we managed to get Minamikata-san's name. Her being the VIP was already confirmed by our allies, Class C.

 Her being the VIP was already confirmed by our allies, Class C

Figure 4.1

On the second day, while the groups were still ordered according to their briefing time, I decided to remove the class separation (on the columns), so I tallied their names in alphabetical order (Gojūon). (See Figure 4.2)

All of it was for the sake of convenience, and I didn't really think much of it... That's because all this time, everyone-- every single one of us thought that the VIP was decided by a certain qualification with respect to the briefing time. That conclusion was universal for all of us first-years. The elaborate briefing time indicated the ordering and that argument was strengthened by the Dragon Group, a group where all class representatives are pitted against each other, coming in last. And of course, the emails that decided our roles were worded strangely, indicating that the VIP assignment wasn't done at random-- that there was a qualification to become the VIP.

We were all working under those premises, using the "clues" that the school had given us. And we slaved away at figuring out what that qualification is. Even the most ridiculous deductions about a student's personality traits were accepted as a possible answer as long as it leads us closer to the truth.