SS.6 - Hasebe Haruka: Ideal

"A-Ah-! What I meant was... You're completely different from normal people like me... or Miyacchi, for example."

"What do you mean by different?" Kiyopon tilted his head.

"Well, you're really smart and athletic. You're super strong, too." Somehow, complimenting him like this feels a bit embarrassing.

"Ohh... I mean, Hirata's the same, right? Kouenji, too. And I'm sure there are some students in other classes who are like me. Not to mention the higher years."

That's not what I'm talking about... Well, it is, but-

"You're right... You're right but, there's just something about you that..." I can't seem to articulate my thoughts. "It's like you're... more mysterious than anyone else-- like you're still holding back..."

Ahh, dang it... Why can't I properly say what I want to say?!

"I see... I think you're just talking about my negative traits, Haruka. For example, I don't like talking about myself and I'm not that great at making casual conversations, so I might give the impression of aloofness and mystery. I also don't look motivated when doing anything, so it feels like I'm still holding back... And because I'm your friend, you might just be romanticizing those negative traits into something positive, which is understandable."

There he goes again... Explaining everything so soundly using reason and logic.

"That's... You might be right... You're probably right... But somehow, I just get this feeling that--... It's like you're... unfathomable," I said. "I'm sure Miyacchi, Airi, Kencchin, and everyone in Class B have already sensed it. Sure, there are a lot of exceptional students in this school, but you give off a different kind of 'exceptional' vibe."

"Is that so...? Well, I can't understand it myself. My perspective is distinctly different from everyone else's, after all."

There's no way Kiyopon can understand how other people see him. That's why I want to make him understand, but I just can't seem to do it...

"It's pretty weird though. You were popular in your younger years, right? Especially since you're a foreigner in America."

"No... I didn't really have any friends."

"Eh?! Like, zero? I thought you were just exaggerating!"

He nodded. So he really was a loner?

"Were you not showing your abilities back then like you're doing now, or something?"

"I guess so. I didn't really take school too seriously, so everyone left me alone. I had a pretty peaceful school life."

"You're a weirdo. You would've been extremely popular!" I reprimanded him.

"Well, I didn't really know how to talk with people back then," he explained. "I just forced myself to socialize with others in this school. Even if I liked solitude, I can't possibly ascend to the higher classes without associating myself with you guys."

This school encouraged competitions between classes, and the results were directly tied to our futures. I see. I think I can understand him a bit more now. Still, it's just a waste to hide your abilities when you have them. But knowing Kiyopon, I guess he just didn't want to stand out.

"Ohh... I see... That makes sense..."

"Why'd you wanna talk about all this?" he asked.

"Ah-- Eh... That's... I just wanted to know you more, I guess." I scratched my head while trying to make an excuse. "Hahaha..."