Vol. 3: Chapter 14.2 - The Hidden Joker Card

"Well, the reason why we scored so many points is simple. First, we managed to protect our leader's identity, which was Horikita. And second, I figured out that Class A's leader was Totsuka Yahiko."

My classmates nodded understandingly. It was a pretty straightforward and easy-to-grasp explanation.

"Then how did Class C only get 140 points? I thought they weren't spenders like Class D and they also had their own spots," asked Ike.

"Yes, and how did Class D manage to get so many points with everyone retiring apart from Ibuki-san?" added Matsushita.

"And most mysterious of all, how did Class A place fourth with such a low amount of points?" followed Professor.

I glanced at Horikita and left it all up to her. We've been friends for so long that I think she'll know what to say and not say.

Our classmates turned to her with looks of anticipation.

"First, I would like to address the issue with Class A. They scored so low due to two classes guessing their leader, which yielded 100 points worth of deduction. The ones who guessed their leader were Class B and Class D. The other 50-point deduction was caused by them incorrectly guessing one of the other classes' leaders. Of course, their provisional points were lost, too."

"Could you further explain why Class C is out of the picture, Horikita-san?" asked Hirata.

"Yes. But before that, I want you to understand that the other two classes lost all of their provisional points, unlike Class B and D. According to the data that Class C had provided us, their supposed final points would've been 190 points plus their provisional points from spots. However, one of the classes, Class D, guessed who their leader was. That's the reason why they lost 50 points, provisional points included."

"S-So we know that Class D has 0 points, right? If they guessed Class A and C's leaders, then that would be 100 points... and the remaining 26 points would be from their spots...?" Mii-chan asked timidly.

"That's correct, Wang-san. We believe that's what happened," nodded Horikita.

"But Horikita-san, there's still one more mystery," said Matsushita.

If anyone were to ask that question, I thought it would be her or Nishimura. Apart from Horikita and Hirata, they were probably the sharpest critical thinkers in Class B.

"Yes, Matsushita-san?"

"If what you're saying is true, then wouldn't it mean that Class A still had 270 points by the end? They didn't spend a single point during the entire exam?" she asked.

Our classmates gasped after realizing what happened.

It was simply impossible for a class to not spend points for a week. It's just not feasible even under the best scenario. Since there were 40 students in the class, foraging food will never be enough without hogging many vegetation spots. Even Class B and C, who did their best in that regard, still had to buy the meal sets from time to time. Of course, sanitation facilities like the shower room and toilet were practically mandatory.

"Ayanokouji-kun, would you like to explain your deduction?" Horikita turned to me.

"Sure, I guess."

"You figured it out, Kiyotaka?" Ken asked in surprise.

"Shhh, Ken. It's Kiyopon. Of course, he figured it out." Haruka gestured for Ken to stay silent.

"O-Oh... I guess you're right."

Our classmates watched the exchange with bitter smiles.

Oh no, my mental state is slowly declining because of their high expectations. I might just want to step down from being the leader... again... and permanently.