Vol. 1: Chapter 14.1 - To Trust Someone

I successfully reached the 13th floor and made my way to Horikita's room. I rang her doorbell once and waited patiently. Some girls gave me curious looks as they walk past the hallway. I don't think I look suspicious or anything, but their stares still wracked my nerves.

Not long after, Horikita opened the door.

"Good evening, Ayanokouji-kun. Please, come in," greeted Horikita.

"Excuse me for intruding."

Horikita's one-bedroom-and-kitchen room was minimally decorated like my room. I couldn't see into the bedroom area though.

"Have a seat," she said. "As you told me in your message, this will be about Kushida-san, right?"

"Yes," I replied, sitting on the chair she prepared for me.

I took out my phone and pressed the play button.

"Ahhh, screw this! They're so gross! They're seriously so damn gross! Always trying to ogle me, always trying to get close to me--! Your ulterior motives are so obvious you damned perverts! Ike and Yamauchi, you two should just die!"

"And that bitch Shinohara... Don't try to talk just because you're not getting praised, you minion! Go back to your co-lackeys and obey that head bitch Karuizawa--!" 

At that moment, I paused the recording and faced Horikita.

I debated whether I should include her bit in Kushida's venting but ultimately decided against it. There's no reason to spark more hate between them.

"This..." Horikita narrowed her eyes.

She was smart, so hearing such uncharacteristic hate from Kushida's mouth meant that I had the means to record her. Horikita was probably wondering how in the world I was able to do it.

"To be honest, I was starting to doubt you. I've been suspicious of Kushida for more than a month now, keeping tabs on her movements almost every day. But it took me this long to finally get something. She hid her other self really well," I narrated.

In reality, I focused more on making friends and tutoring my classmates, so it was hard to put any time into this investigation. And I really can't be too careful. Everything would've fallen apart if Kushida got even a small whiff of what I was trying to do.

"So, is this what you were talking about?" I asked.

"This... is also the first time I've ever heard Kushida-san speak of things like these. You should know that already. I told you that we didn't interact during junior high at all, didn't I?" Horikita replied.

"You're right," I murmured. "Sigh... Regardless, this is bad, isn't it?"

"Bad?" Horikita raised her eyebrow in suspicion.

"Hmm... It's fine. I'll do something about it." I stood up and got ready to leave.

"Wait, please tell me, Ayanokouji-kun." Horikita pleaded with a serious expression.

"Horikita, I need you to trust me on this. I'll give you an explanation once everything is over."

"You said that one person won't be able to do anything alone. I want to help you... however, I can."

I put my hands on Horikita's shoulder, which she didn't mind. Horikita continued looking straight into my eyes.

"I know you're anxious, and I appreciate your intention to help. But don't worry. I'll make sure everything's fine in the end," I replied.

"..." 

Horikita was still conflicted, but she didn't talk back.

"Horikita, you're the only one I can fully trust right now. I'll be counting on you if I ever need assistance. So I want you to trust me, too," I said.