Vol. 2: Chapter 2.1 - The World Discovers Light

I was once living in a dark, lonely world-- I was by myself-- I was alone.

It was my fault, to begin with. Interacting with people was just too hard for me. I can't talk to anyone while making proper eye contact. I'm also horrible with crowds. I was nothing but a no-good girl.

I continued living in that dark, lonely world. After all, I was fine by myself-- I was fine being alone.

I loved solitude.

However, even I am aware that one single person cannot live in isolation for all of eternity. I was at a loss on what I was supposed to do. I'm a hopeless person who can't even talk to strangers without stuttering.

That's why I adopted a persona. It was the solution I thought of and it also opened my eyes. If I acted out a different version of myself, my true self would be able to live peacefully in that dark, lonely world. While doing that, a question popped up in my mind. Is everyone else putting on a facade, just like me? Or are they showing their true selves to the outside world? I always thought that finding out the answers to those questions was something that I could only ever dream of. But everything changed when I attended this school.

I met them.

I met the people that can connect with me, the true me.

They were people that I can call friends. They were like the light to me-- the ones who brightened up my dark, lonely world.

As I thought about those bittersweet thoughts and happy memories, I heard some noises coming from the other hallway.

"The hell do you want, Komiya, Kondou? And who's this?"

Ken-kun? What is he...? Those boys look unfamiliar. They were from another class.

"I heard you were being an arrogant bitch, Sudou," said the third guy.

"Heh, that's right, Ishizaki. Sudou's been acting pretty cocky lately."

"Now he's extra cocky just because the instructor talked about making him a regular."

They mocked Ken-kun, which would obviously make him angry. This is bad-! There are three of them so Ken-kun might be in trouble.

I-I should...

"Say that again, you assholes

"Say that again, you assholes. Don't think that I'm scared of you just because I'm alone."

Oh no, Ken-kun didn't look like he was planning to run away...

Come on, Airi... Just please move your body... Your friend is in trouble...

I need to help Ken-kun...

But what can someone like me do?

"Tch. We'll put you in your place today." One of the guys ran up and tried to punch Ken-kun.

He dodged, but before could punch back-

"Ken-kun!" I called out from the top of my lungs.

"W-What the-?!"

"There's someone!"

The guys against him instantly panicked.

"Airi?" Ken-kun asked in surprise when he saw me.

"The hell? Is that chick your girlfriend, Sudou?"

I thought they were going to make fun of him, but their faces were full of worry.

"Hah? She's my friend," he replied. "Airi, get the hell outta here! I can handle these guys!"

That's not the point!

"D-Don't! P-Please stop fighting, Ken-kun!"

Kiyotaka-kun was afraid that something like this would eventually happen.

"Shit, what do we do, Ishizaki?"

"Damn it... This isn't gonna work. Let's get outta here."

With that, the three of them walked out of the special building at a brisk pace.

"Wha-- Hey! The hell? Are you three acting afraid now, huh?!" Ken-kun yelled in anger.

"Ken-kun, p-please don't pick a fight!" I said.

He approached me after picking his bag up.

"I told you, Airi. I could've handled those guys alone. You didn't have to worry." He put his thumbs up with a smile.

"No... T-That's not it, Ken-kun. Kiyotaka-kun, Akito-kun- all of us always reminded you to restrain yourself from doing things like that, right?" Before I knew it, I was already scolding him.

This was the first time I've ever done something like this. I was caught up in the heat of the moment. I became scared. Ken-kun might get angry at me instead.

"That's-!" He scratched his head while looking away. "That's true... but it wasn't my fault this time! You clearly saw them throw the first punch, right?"

I nodded.

"Sigh... You know what, Airi, since you're already here, just come with me. Let's meet up with Akito. He's probably finished with his archery club now." Ken-kun turned around and walked away.

I didn't have the chance to decline.

"W-Wait a minute, Ken-kun!" I yelled, trodding after him.

As the two of us walked out of the building, I sighed after remembering that I didn't get any good pictures today. However, I'm happy that my friend didn't get hurt...