Vol. 3: Chapter 10.2 - A First for Everything

Ichinose and I traveled without any rush. The two of us walked side-by-side, chatting about the hardships of being a class leader. It wasn't too different from what we've been talking about back at school.

"It's weird. Our roles are the same, but completely different at the same time," she chuckled.

"Horikita and I are split on thinking up of strategies and whatnot while Hirata is focused on babysitting the class," I said.

Well, in the meantime, I'm the one who's mostly doing the thinking, but time will surely come where it'll be Horikita's job to do so.

"Oh, I can relate to that! But apart from 'babysitting', as you called it, Kanzaki-kun and I are also split with the brainy stuff. He's very considerate about my opinions."

"You're amazing, after all. Sigh... I can't picture myself doing Hirata's job in a million years. I'm fine with consultations whenever my classmates need my advice, but you and Hirata are on another level."

"Ahaha! It's not that hard, I think. You're friends with your whole class, too, right? I'm sure you'll be okay."

"Yeah... But of course, there will be some things that I just can't help them with."

"Oh? What is it, what is it?" Ichinose asked with enthusiasm.

"Ughh... I'd rather not talk about it..." I rolled my eyes in revulsion. "So, no."

Seeing this type of expression from me must've been entertaining for Ichinose. I doubt she'd pry if I'd put on a serious face, but my reaction just made her curiosity skyrocket.

I couldn't help it, though. It was a reflex reaction because I wasn't too familiar with the topic.

"Hmm~? That's suspicious, Ayanokouji-kun. C'mon, tell me. It's just the two of us here!" She skipped in front of me before turning around with an adorable smile. "I won't tell anyone, you know~?"

Too cute, this is dangerous. I need to think of sad thoughts. Dying dogs in a movie? My favorite heroine losing? A classmate rejecting my friendship offer? Crap, it's a mess.

"Has anyone ever confessed their feelings to you, Ichinose?" I asked.

"Eh?"

"Ah, I guess that was a strange question. Of course, tons of guys have already confessed their feelings to you," I shrugged.

"E-Ehh?! No, wait! No, no, no. You're wrong! No guy has ever confessed their feelings to me before!" Ichinose frantically denied.

"Huh? Are you serious? I'm finding that hard to believe, Ichinose."

"I'm telling you the truth!"

Ichinose Honami was cute. She was probably one of the most beautiful girls in our year and I'm sure most of the guys will agree with me. It wasn't weird for many other boys to have feelings for her.

But then, it slowly started to make sense. Ichinose's personality was something that attracted people, but at the same time, put them at arm's length. If you were in Class C, you'll become good friends with her, but wanting a romantic relationship isn't realistic given how she treats them. Ichinose tends to look after them like a reliable senior instead of a classmate. It's even more so if you're not in Class C. If an outsider develops feelings for Ichinose, her reputation will pressure that person and would probably make them too scared to confess their feelings.

In other words, Ichinose Honami was too out-of-reach for them.

"Well... There is one... actually..." Ichinose lightly scratched her cheek with one finger.