Vol. 4: Chapter 9.2.2 - Quick Visit

Rest Day, 1:30 PM

"That was a refreshing shower," I muttered.

I checked my messages after putting on some clothes.

(13:28) [Are you in your room right now?]

(13:30) [Yeah, why?]

(13:30) [I was wondering if I could visit you.]

(13:30) [Sure.]

It was around this time that I heard a knock from outside. My roommates wouldn't do such a thing so whoever's behind that door isn't one of them. 

"Kikyou-?"

The girl who awaited the reception instantly ran to my embrace the moment I opened the door.

Did she teleport? Wait, that's not right... She must've been already outside when she sent that text.

"Let me... recharge for a bit..."

"..."

The two of us sat on my bed. I assumed it was time for that again, but...

"Sigh..."

"Is there a problem?"

"Hm? Ahh, not really. You're probably expecting me to vent, right? I don't really need to do that right now. I'm just... tired, I guess."

This wasn't a rare occurrence or anything. Kikyou often looked for me whenever she gets mentally drained.

"I'm just a bit worn out. I've been accommodating my friends nonstop since morning. I want some time for myself."

Kikyou's room is probably crowded, so coming here might've been a good idea.

The atmosphere turned warm as she leaned her head on my shoulders.

"I'm sorry, was I disturbing you?" she asked.

"Not really."

"I thought you were resting, so I hesitated at first."

"I was just biding time for later."

"Hm? Is something happening?" Kikyou tilted her head curiously.

"Ryuuen called for us-- me, Horikita, Ichinose, and Kanzaki. It seems like he's got something to say."

"Is this about him knowing all of the VIPs?" Kikyou's tone finally dropped.

"Most likely. I don't think I'm needed there since I'm not even helping, but I guess I can listen to how Ryuuen plans to propel the exam forward."

"Do you think he knows?" asked Kikyou, looking at me with upturned eyes.

Kikyou's slight anxiety was evident. After all, she was our group's VIP.

"No, I don't think he does," I replied.

Kikyou sighed in relief.

"Well, I might be wrong, you know?"

She then wraps her arms around my waist. I felt her softness engulf the left side of my body.

"Even so. Your word was the best reassurance that I could possibly get."

I moved my hand to pat Kikyou's defenseless head.

"This kind of interaction-- I thought you wanted us to stop."

Submitting herself to my warmth, Kikyou leaned all of her weight against me.

"Don't think about it too deeply, Kiyotaka-kun. This is just skinship between best friends," she replied, obviously playing dumb.

"We're teenagers... and you're a girl and I'm a guy." I continued with my futile verbal resistance.

"As I said, don't think about it too deeply." Kikyou tightened her embrace. "I don't like you that way."

We're together in this facade. As long as she doesn't admit anything, she can get away with doing this. Kikyou knows that I don't have any plans of forcefully calling her out or taking the initiative. Because of that, she can try to accomplish two specific things at the same time; to push me over the edge and to satisfy her own desires.

"Sigh, fine... Let's talk about the group, then. Is that alright with you?"

"Mn, mn." Kikyou nodded while her head was buried on my chest. It tickled.

"How are you finding the members right now? Do you think anyone's caught on about your identity as the VIP?"

"Hmm, Matoba-kun doesn't seem to pay that much attention to anyone else so I guess he's in the green. I'm friends with Nishikawa-san and Yano-san so I managed to get their insights on the current situation. Fortunately for me, it seems like they plan to follow Katsuragi-kun's lead, so they're not particularly on the hunt for the VIP," she explained. "And apart from Ryuuen-kun, whom I can't get a good read on, Class D doesn't seem to be that much of a threat."

"How about Class C then?"

"Let's see... Like Ryuuen-kun, I can't really pinpoint how Ichinose-san's mind really operates. I'm sure you're aware of it by now, but she's just as sly as someone like me. That said, she shouldn't be suspicious of any particular person right now. Kanzaki-kun and Hitomi-chan are the same."

Kanzaki and Tsube are both gifted in academics and sports. Having them in the Dragon Group alongside Ichinose wasn't a coincidence. Even if they're our "allies", it's still good to stay vigilant against them.

Kikyou and I continued talking about some other stuff-- mostly about the class and our friends. After some time has passed, she finally decided to leave. We had our final exchange by the open door.

"Good luck with your meeting later, Kiyotaka-kun."

"Yeah, you don't have to worry too much about your current position. The exam is almost over, anyway. I just hope everything turns out alright in the end."

Kikyou received my answer with a smile. We stared at each other for a second before she opened her mouth.

"Kiyotaka-kun, lend me your ears for a bit," she said.

Is she going to whisper something? I asked myself while complying with her request.

Kikyou has done this many times before-- sometimes to tell a secret, most of the time to tease me by whispering some embarrassing things. I thought it would go one way or the other, but she had something different in mind this time.

Even I was caught off-guard.

*Chu*

Her soft lips touched my unassuming left cheek.

"Huh?"

I wasn't even sure about what happened for a split second. After Kikyou pulled away with her alluringly cute smile, she meekly waved her hand goodbye.

"See you later, Kiyotaka-kun~."

Her eyes wandered to the side for a moment before she finally went on her way. I couldn't really do anything but wave back.

Before her figure could disappear from the hallway, I looked to my left and saw a half-naked Kouenji. His lower half was covered by a towel and his hair and torso were still dripping with water. The floor underneath and behind him had trails of wetness.

"My, my. It seems like I've witnessed something interesting," he said, smiling audaciously.

"Kouenji... Did the bellhop finally give up on you?" I replied, trying to change the topic.

If being seen by a third party was inevitable, Kouenji was probably the best possible option. But somehow, I still felt exhausted by the thought.