Vol. 1: Chapter 3.2 - Self-Introduction

"Good morning, everyone," greeted Chabashira-sensei, with her usual poker face.

Standing behind the podium, Chabashira-sensei scanned the entire class.

"Hehhh... Look at you, sitting up straight with such serious expressions. You're already acting like students befitting of Class A." Chabashira-sensei was praising us, but her sarcastic tone made it all clear that we were actually being mocked.

"The higher-ups were really shocked when I reported what happened yesterday, you know? If any of the other class advisers find out about you guys, they would surely become wary." Chabashira-sensei's tone suddenly dropped. "I'm also under investigation right now. As you can see, there's always the possibility that I willingly shared that information with you guys. Such actions are strictly against the rules and could get me fired on the spot. However, once they go through all of the evidence, I'm sure we'll be fine."

Evidence, huh? I'm guessing it's the security cameras that are scattered around the classroom walls. They're not especially hidden, but I don't think everyone's noticed them yet.

"Sensei." Hirata raised his hand.

"Yes, Hirata?" Chabashira-sensei gave him a side glance.

"Is it alright for you to tell us these things?" asked Hirata.

"Of course. I wouldn't make the careless mistake of sharing confidential information, even if it's for my own class's benefit. At the end of the day, rules are rules." Chabashira-sensei answered smoothly.

"Well, with that being said, I have another thing to clear up." With her hands plastered on the podium, Chabashira-sensei looked like quite an authoritative figure. "There was one detail about the S-System that I left out yesterday... No, it's more appropriate to say that I completely lied about it."

The stiff look on my classmates' faces turned stiffer.

"There's actually another way to earn class points apart from special exams." Chabashira-sensei said.

"-?!" The entire class reacted a bit violently, but they didn't utter any words. It only took a second before they calmed down again.

"What's with those looks? The special exams are already the icing on the cake. This one's nothing revolutionary or unique, really." Chabashira-sensei commented with a smirk. "Like any normal high school, we will be having midterms and final exams. Depending on your performance, you can earn up to 100 class points."

"That's quite a lot..." Some of my classmates murmured.

"Don't get too happy now. If you score high on your test, that's all fine and dandy, but should any of you fail... then that student will immediately be expelled." Chabashira-sensei didn't smile this time.

Does that mean she's actually concerned about us getting expelled? But wasn't she mocking us just a little while ago? I can't understand her at all...

"Expelled?!" With a bombshell of that level, my classmates finally exploded.

"T-That's ridiculous!" Yamauchi and his friends were the ones making the loudest ruckus.

"What's there to panic about? Remember that this is only your second day in school. The teachers that will follow me after homeroom will only give you the course outlines for their subjects. It's not like you've missed entire lessons already, right? If, say, Ayanokouji didn't buy the information on the S-System, then I'm sure that the especially undisciplined defects in this class will neglect their academic duties and slack off. If that were the case, panicking will be completely justified. Stop acting like children when you already have an overwhelming advantage," Chabashira-sensei elaborated.