Vol. 3: Chapter 10.4 - Vital Information

4th Day, 3:43 PM.

"Oh, Ayanokouji-kun, you're back," said Satou.

"How's everything going here?" I asked.

"Hmm, the usual, I guess? Everyone's been doing their tasks without any problems, so I think it's a good thing," she replied with a shrug.

I decided to check on my classmates and found out some nice things. According to Ike's report, their group found some weird places but there were no devices around them. It's a pity, but at least they lit up some more parts of the map and brought in some food.

After surveying the campsite, I finally found Ibuki, who was sitting on top of a tree.

"Hey, Ibuki," I called.

Ibuki jumped down skillfully. I noticed that she was fit, but the more I observe her, it's become more apparent that she isn't your average high school girl.

"You need me for something?" she asked.

"Well, your entire class just retired, so I thought it would be a good idea for you to retire as well."

"Damn... So they really did it..." Ibuki clicked his tongue. "I don't really want to see their faces, but it's better than being a burden here, I guess. You'll have one less mouth to feed when I'm gone."

Ibuki shrugged her shoulders with a smirk.

"We didn't really mind your presence here, but I personally think it's better for you to ease up. The retirement penalty wouldn't affect you or Kaneda, anyway."

"Kaneda?" Ibuki looked at me as she tilted her head in confusion.

"Class C picked him up, apparently. He was driven out just like you, right?"

"Yeah, he was. We were smacked by Ryuuen at the same time, so of course, I know he's like me. I didn't expect him to wound up in Class C's camp, though."

"Well, Ichinose has probably informed him about Class D's retirement by now. I'd like to think that he'd want to retire, too."

"Yeah... I would rather sleep on a proper bed. My back's starting to ache a whole lot since we've been here," she complained.

"A lot of my classmates doubted you at first, but in the end, it seems like you really weren't a spy," I said.

"Yeah, I'm not," Ibuki replied as she looked at me straight in the eye.

Following my talk with Ibuki was a small announcement. It was finally time for everyone in Class B to know what was up with Class D. After relaying the details to Hirata and Kikyou, they helped me explain everything to our classmates.

"That's really crazy..."

"Ryuuen is nuts."

"I'm sure they had fun, though."

"Well, their fun won't last long if they stay behind in class points."

The only ones who managed to see Ibuki off were Kikyou, Hirata, and me. We informed everyone about her retirement after. Unsurprisingly, everyone thought that her decision to retire was the obvious choice.

I only stayed at the camp for a short time, however. I needed to run out and reinvoke our rights again. When I took a bath after returning, the sky was already dyed in orange. This time, I decided to just take it easy with everyone. I helped around with the chores and did some fishing in the process. I also hung out with Hirata and the others, as well as Karuizawa and her group. It almost felt like a normal school day but in a different setting.

"Can you drop it, Yamauchi?"

I was walking around the campsite when I suddenly heard Akito's voice.