Vol. 2: Chapter 4.2 - The New Targets

"Ken, how'd your practice go yesterday? You finally met with Komiya and Kondou again, right?" asked Akito.

The Ayanokouji Group was having lunch in the cafeteria, as usual. Wednesday noons are just as effervescent as the two preceding days. Everyone around us vigorously chatted with their friends while eating.

"Heh, all they could do was glare at me. Those two won't be able to beat me in a fight anyway, even if that Ishizaki guy backs them up," Ken scoffed with confidence.

"Just don't fall for their provocations again. Things would've been bad if Airi didn't call out to you," I said.

"Yeah," Ken said before turning to Airi, who was beside him. "Thanks for that, Airi."

"I-It's fine, Ken-kun. I didn't think that my actions would have such an impact, anyway. I just panicked when I saw one of them punch you," replied Airi.

"But still, I owe you one," Ken smiled with a thumbs-up.

"How about not getting into fights in the first place, idiot Kencchin?" Haruka snickered.

"B-But what if they pick on me first? Of course, I'll strike back if they start the fight!" Ken tried to justify his hypothetical course of action.

Haruka looked at him like he was scolding a child.

"You know, Kencchin, you'd be so much cooler if you were as calm as Miyacchi or Kiyopon," she said.

"Wha-?!"

Haruka teased Ken a bit more before we went back to the classroom.

"Is this it, Haruki?! Is our moment finally coming?" Ike asked Yamauchi with overwhelming excitement."

"Yeah, Kanji! This is our time!" Yamauchi responded with the same vigor.

They were hanging out with Miyamoto, Professor, and Hondou.

"Are you really sure, Kanji? They might just be baiting you." Miyamoto asked with a skeptical expression.

"Hahaha, I wouldn't imagine Haruki, of all people, getting a message like that." Hondou chuckled haughtily.

"Shut up, you two! You're just jealous!" Yamauchi snapped angrily.

"Hmph. Don't lump us in the same group just because no one's interested in you two," added Ike.

"But gentlemen, as much as I'm couldn't care less about your 3D-Girl business, didn't Hirata-dono and Ayanokouji-dono warn us? According to my Neo-Akashic records, Kinoshita-san and Manabe-san are both from Class D," Professor stated using his strange way of speaking.

"Yeah, the timing is too convenient. Isn't Class D's plan obvious at this point?" Hondou shrugged.

"The hell?! There's no way. How dare you think ill of someone's feelings just because they're from another class?" rebutted Ike. "And I'm sure their timing is just a coincidence. I would reconsider it if the two of them are close friends, but they're not even in the same friend group."

"Yeah! And besides, they only told us to be careful. It's not like we weren't allowed to interact with them, right? It'll be fine if we just keep our guard up." Yamauchi snorted as if he just sealed the deal on a debate.

Someone who thought up that plan regarding Ken shouldn't be this impatient. Is it desperation, after all? Was I overestimating him? Is that the kind of person Ryuuen Kakeru is? He's not even being subtle at this point. It's like he's sending us a message.

Airi's interruption to his plan should've been accidental. He wouldn't think that someone is going up against him. He must be testing us.

I approached the five of them while waving my hand lightly.