Vol. 4: Chapter 2.2 - The Zodiac Test

"Hmm. Having a pointless discourse right now wouldn't be ideal. We'll be going on ahead." Katsuragi and his classmates entered Room 201 as soon as the clock hit 8:40 PM.

"We'll be going on ahead, too. See you later~." Ichinose smilingly exchanged goodbyes with Kikyou before going inside their assigned room, Room 203.

"Heh. Let's have some fun, Ayanokouji," said Ryuuen as he glared at me with his baleful grin.

Unlike Katsuragi, who looked like he paraded with his allies, Ryuuen's entourage resembled that of lackeys following their boss. He opened the door and entered Room 204.

"Well then, shall we go ahead and enter the room?" Horikita, who remained unperturbed this whole time, took the initiative and entered Room 202.

Apparently, there were four rooms used in total. It was easy to deduce the reason why none of our groups got assigned to Room 201: Our own class adviser, Chabashira-sensei, was appointed to that room.

"Heya~!" Hoshinomiya-sensei, the homeroom teacher and class adviser of Ichinose's Class C will be the one who'd do the briefing for us. "Ohh... What an amazing lineup from Class B. Sae-chan really went all-out on this one.

Four somewhat disordered chairs were reserved for us.

"Well, well, for now, please take your seats. I'm sure you already know what this test is going to be about, but for the sake of formality, I will still be explaining everything." Hoshinomiya-sensei winked in reassurance. "Don't worry, I'll make it fast."

We sat and stayed silent, waiting for her to speak.

"So, in this special test, all first-year students will be divided into twelve groups based on the twelve Chinese Zodiac Signs. Participation is a must for everyone, with the exception of Sakayanagi-chan, of course." Hoshinomiya-sensei started explaining as she raised her index finger. "'What's the point of this test?', you may be asking. Well, society needs three fundamental qualities in order to progress, and those three are action, thinking, and teamwork. Having those three will bump up your success in becoming wonderful adults!"

Matsushita and the others have already explained this introduction. Despite that, the four of us still listened intently.

"It's pretty obvious that your previous special exam focused on testing your "teamwork". That's why the theme was 'freedom', correct? This time, the school wants to test your "thinking" with the theme being 'prudence'." Hoshinomiya-sensei eyed us with a grin, displaying four of her fingers. "With that said, we will test your thinking in four ways. First is your ability to thoroughly process information, which is an essential component of this test. Next is your ability to analyze the current situation and clarify the task at hand. Then, it'll be your ability to solve the problem after you've clarified the process and identified the task. Lastly, we'll test your ability to utilize your imagination, and the ability to create new values. Those four will help shape up your thinking."

Hoshinomiya-sensei ended with a short sigh.

"Well, any questions?"

"Sensei." Horikita raised her hand.

"Oh, we got someone~! Yes, Horikita-san?" Hoshinomiya-sensei cheerfully called to her.

"I understand that our class had to be divided into twelve groups, but wouldn't it be more efficient to meet each Zodiac group with all of its members?"

"Humu, humu. That's the popular question, as usual." Expecting Horikita's query, Hoshinomiya-sensei responded with an understanding nod. "I see the point in that concern. In fact, briefing the entirety of the first years would've been possible, too. However, do you remember the reactions of your classmates when the first or second groups explained the mechanics of this test?"