Vol. 3: Chapter 13.2 - Possessing the Royal Cards

Last Day, 1:23 AM.

In the dead of night, Horikita and I trekked the muddy ground of the island. We talked about a lot of things along the way. I told her about some of the finer details involving the events around me and Kikyou.

"Sure, why not? Expel me if I do. It's not like I'm interested in her past, anyway."

"It's better if you don't ruin the painstaking effort I put in towards deflecting her hate away from you," I shrugged.

Of course, I only elaborated on the details that involved her.

"It seems like we made it," I said, checking the clock on my wristwatch.

"I think I'm more or less familiar with the way even if I were to go on my own."

"Yeah, and it doesn't really matter even if you arrive late. We'll only have one chance to reinvoke our rights after the morning roll call, anyway."

When the timer ran out, I immediately registered my key card onto the device.

"That should do it."

And that was the last time I used the key card.

Last Day, 2:17 AM.

Treading down the mountain, Horikita Suzune walked with staggering steps. She wasn't hurt, but the student supported by her shoulders was. Ayanokouji Kiyotaka, Class B's leader, leaned unconsciously on her body. Their clothes were covered in mud and blood. The blood came from the wound on Ayanokouji's head which was still bleeding.

There were three desirable locations where she could bring her injured classmate.

First was the rest area, which was all the way to the southern beach. Since the pier and ship were located here, they had everything they needed to give an injured person the aid they needed.

The second was Class B's base camp. Located near the rock tunnel on the northeastern side of the island, the two of them had to walk a long way on top of waking up their classmates to take action and help.

The third and final location that she was currently heading to was their class adviser, Chabashira Sae's special tent. It was the nearest place available to them, and with their limited stamina and precarious situation, it didn't seem like much of a hard choice.

"Chabashira-sensei, we need help, please!" I was prepared to wake her up in case she was asleep, but Ayanokouji-kun's prediction was on point. Chabashira-sensei was currently writing up some reports, possibly because the special test was nearing its end.

"Horikita...? Ayanokouji-?" Chabashira-sensei's eyes widened upon seeing our pitiful state.

She stopped whatever she was doing and supported Ayanokouji-kun with me. After arriving inside the inner parts of her tent, we gently placed his unconscious body on a neatly prepared one-person bed that was probably meant for her own use.

"I'll call in some medical personnel to come here ASAP. For now, I want you to tell me what happened," she said.

I proceeded to narrate what happened. 

We were traveling in the middle of the night to reinvoke our rights to some spots. However, as we walked towards a tall ridge, the edge suddenly collapsed and the two of us fell. The softened ground beneath us sunk and destroyed our balance. Ayanokouji-kun tried to protect me and his head hit a rock. He managed to stay awake for a short period of time before fainting.

After noting everything down, Chabashira-sensei formally briefed me before asking a question.

"What do you want to do now?"