Vol. 2: Chapter 12.1 - Eyes on the Future

"What are you thinking about, Kiyotaka-kun?"

Kikyou was currently seating cross-legged on the bed while hugging a pillow. She noticed how I was staring blankly out of my closed window into the slightly brighter evening.

"Nothing. I just feel like something big will happen soon."

"Like the final exam?"

"Well, there's that, but it's been more than three months, right? Isn't it weird that the so-called "special exams" aren't happening yet?"

"You think something will be different with the final exam?"

"That's right... But there's also the summer island vacation."

"Wait, that?" Kikyou titled her head in skepticism.

I'm not really in the mood to lay out the scattered clues. Who knows? Maybe I'm just overthinking things, in the end.

"Dunno. I might be thinking too deeply into stuff. It just seemed like the idea of a paradise vacation is another one of the school's baits."

"Just like the monthly allowance, huh?" Kikyou shifted her sitting position into a seiza-like kneel. "Well, if it's gonna be a competition between classes, wouldn't it be our chance to beat Class A?"

"Maybe."

"And with you in our class, we won't have anything to worry about!" Kikyou smiled cutely.

"I can't fight against entire classes alone. Don't slack off."

Kikyou continued chuckling like she won't be part of the battle.

Honestly, I'd choose to sit back and just watch Horikita or Hirata battle it out with the other classes. However, they probably won't do as well, objectively speaking. Horikita is in the right mindset but lacks the influence that Hirata has. Meanwhile, Hirata is susceptible to getting tunneled into thinking about his own group exclusively. Other classes could easily attack us if that were to be the case. It would've been different if the two of them are hand-in-hand in terms of cooperation, but that be hard for Horikita as she is now.

"You know I don't like trouble, right?"

"Uh-huh?"

"That's why I want us to rise up to Class A as soon as possible. I'm just trying to see if I can do it. After we reach Class A, it'll be up to you and the class to maintain our position."

"K-Kiyotaka-kun, don't pressure us like that."

"Nah, I believe you guys can do it."

"With pieces of baggage like Yamauchi-kun, it'll be extremely hard."

"Well... that's true. We've got inactive classmates like Kouenji, too."

Kikyou giggled as she hugged the pillow tightly. 

"Ehehe... Now that we're talking about this, it does feel like the normal high school life that we're all used to is about to get flipped over on us once again."

I'm enjoying my so-called "normal high school life". Since getting to Class A could cement that, then testing myself was a good primary goal. If the school wants to do something to test us as a class, then the foundations I've laid down should be more than enough to yield considerable results.

Author's Notes:

This is the Epilogue of Volume 2.