Vol. 1: Chapter 10.1 - Retreat

On April 16th, the Friday of the second week, I was in my room with four other people. I've gathered them all here right after class.

"Horikita, Kushida, Hirata, and Karuizawa-san, thank you for sparing some time for me," I said.

Right now, Hirata and I were sitting on chairs facing the bed. The three girls were all sitting on the bed itself.

I'm surprised that Horikita isn't sitting distantly from her seatmate, Kushida. And even if Karuizawa was the one beside her, I predicted that she'd do the same. It seems like her tolerance for the types of people she dislikes has grown a lot.

"Of course, Ayanokouji-kun. You wouldn't gather us like this if it wasn't something important." Hirata replied with a gentle expression.

I can tell from Karuizawa's eyes that she's struggling. On one hand, she can't act like her true self because only Hirata and I know of it. On the other hand, she can't act as bullish because she shows she'll butt heads with Horikita, which would waste our time. At the same time, she can't act too out of place... Kushida will definitely pick up on that.

Right now, it's too dangerous to share her secrets with Kushida. Firstly, she doesn't trust her. And secondly, she might become an enemy, given Horikita's early warning.

I've been investigating Kushida's movements for the past week and unfortunately, I haven't found anything concrete just yet.

"Can I ask what I'm doing here? I can, like, understand why you called Hirata-kun, Kushida-san, Horikita-san, but I'm not a capable student like them." Karuizawa feigned ignorance.

"That's a reasonable question, Karuizawa-san. Well, I actually called you all here not because of your capabilities as a student. What I'm after are your social skills," I answered.

"Huh? Do you want us to teach you about social skills? You can talk to others just fine, right?" Karuizawa responded.

"Karuizawa-san, I think Ayanokouji-kun is referring to something else. Why don't we let him finish?" Kushida wryly smiled as she talked to her.

"Hmm, fine then." Karuizawa finally decided to start listening.

Pristine acting, if I may say so myself.

"First, I would like to ask you one thing." I looked straight at them before uttering my question. "Do you think I should lead the class?"

They didn't react strongly but instead opted to think about the question. After a brief moment of pondering, Hirata was the first one to speak.

"I... think you should lead the class, Ayanokouji-kun. Your qualities are very excellent. If someone deserves to carve a path for our class, it should be you," said Hirata.

"I think... I agree with Hirata-kun. I'm not the smartest person in the class. Both Hirata-kun and Horikita-san are more academically capable than I am. But... if Ayanokouji leads the class, I'll do my best to support him as a close friend." Kushida said with determined eyes.

I remember the words that Horikita once said to warn me. Just how real were those eyes, Kushida?

"Isn't it fine? Ayanokouji-kun's, like, super smart and super athletic. Nothing can go wrong if he becomes the class's leader." Karuizawa joined in with a shrug.

"I have no complaints. If Ayanokouji-kun can bring us to Class A, then I'll do my best to cooperate." Horikita finally gave her verdict.

"I see," I sighed softly before continuing. "Then I'll issue my first command to all of you."

"Eh? Immediately?" Kushida asked with a genuinely surprised face.

"Yeah," I nodded. "I want the four of you to lead the class for me."