SS.14 - The Unknown Lady of the Past

August 8th, 6:30 AM.

It was time to enjoy my summer vacation.

We've been granted free access to this luxurious cruise ship. Wasting my time inside this four-person room would be the worst move to make. Although, to be honest, that's probably what I would do if I didn't have any friends.

"Good morning, Ayanokouji-kun." I was met with Hirata Yousuke's early greeting.

This guy has been my friend since the start of school, even before Ken. He's saved my butt many times whenever I'm in a pinch (socially). Handsome, kind, smart-- he was every girl's dream. Well... That description pretty much describes me, too, according to a lot of my classmates. Kikyou and my other female friends have been hammering that thought into me. They say that I'm too oblivious to my own popularity.

I can't help it, okay? I was born a loner. I can't be accustomed to that kind of attention easily.

"Good morning, Hirata," I replied.

Kouenji was up early and was nowhere to be found while the usual early bird that's Yukimura slept soundly on his bed. I wonder if this is how our wake-up order was going to be for the rest of the week?

"What do you plan to do, Ayanokouji-kun? The morning buffet will start at eight, but we were allowed to eat earlier if we wanted."

"I don't know, actually. I didn't really plan anything for myself."

"Ahh, you're right. Everyone just wanted to get some rest yesterday. There really wasn't any time to plan stuff."

"Well, our vacation will begin for real. I'm sure our classmates are very excited. I won't be surprised if most of them are already awake at this time, trying to figure out what they wanna do."

"Wanna hang out for a bit, then?"

"Sure."

After washing our faces, Hirata and I got on the elevator. Upon arriving on the 5th deck, the two of us headed towards the ship's bow. A few students from other classes were there, minding their own business.

"The ocean looks so amazing, doesn't it?" Hirata held the starboard rails while basking in the gusty wind.

"The morning breeze feels nice. It's not too cold since the sun is starting to rise."

We looked at the bluish horizon, experiencing the vastness of the pacific ocean.

"How are you finding the class, Ayanokouji-kun?" Hirata asked, breaking the silence.

"I wonder what I'm supposed to say?" I shrugged. "Hmm, I think they're alright."

"Haha-- sounds like something that you would answer." Hirata chuckled before facing the ocean. "I've been thinking about it a lot... If you weren't there to save our class in April, I'm sure things wouldn't be the same as now."

"That's true. In the likely case that our classmates stayed ignorant for an entire month, our class points in May would've been significantly lower, if not nothing at all. We might still be in Class D right now if that were to be the case. It's the critical first month, too, for their academics."

Both of us chuckled bitterly while thinking about such a gruesome timeline.

"You know, when I got to this school, I was ready to lead the class if no one stepped up. Of course, I immediately knew that the role would suit you the most."

"I think you're fit for it, too. I can't do the same things that you do."

"That goes for most people since we're all different... But even if I can keep the class together, what we'd need are results. You're the only one who can give us that," he sighed. "Up until now, the reason why you got assigned to Class D is still a big mystery for me. Our classmates feel the same. But of course, they know that you don't like talking about your personal life, and we respect that."