SS.20 - Relationships

Technically, today should've been the third and final day of the Zodiac Test, but according to the rules, it would be tomorrow. Today was a rest day and we were free to roam around the ship as if nothing was happening. Of course, the rules and restrictions would still apply.

After breakfast, I decided to hang out with Makida, Kikuchi, Onizuka, and Minami (Hakuo) by the bow of the main deck.

The warm breeze blew against our skin as the rising sun created a glistening view of the ocean.

"Ahh... I want a girlfriend. This is the first summer of my high school life. I can't just mope around like an idiot," said Onizuka.

"Well, that's not for you to decide, Kiyoshi. You won't get a girlfriend unless the girl wants you, you know?" replied Kikuchi.

"Ugh-!" Onizuka grabbed his chest as if he was shot by a gun. "You're right, Eita... I gotta look manlier, or else..."

"Now, now, it's not like we can do anything about the girls in our class, though," shrugged Minami.

"Yeah. Hirata is already taken by Karuizawa... But this guy?" Makida turns to me with a smirk. "If you stay single, the girls will only ever look at you, you know?"

"Ahh... Well, I guess..."

I didn't really know what else to say. It's not like I don't know about the situation. My female friends have been hammering that fact onto me for a while now.

"Ahaha, at least you're aware of it, Ayanokouji," said Kikuchi.

"Yeah, I expected you to act like one of those dense harem protagonists in romcom manga. They tick me off the most." Onizuka put on a disgusted expression.

As someone who'd been using manga as an additional medium to learn social interaction, I can relate to Onizuka's statement. I was never a fan of the ones where the protagonist is unrealistically oblivious of the heroines' feelings. I find those stories less compelling than straightforward romances. But of course, some of them are written well enough to be entertaining until the very end.

"And you don't really need to apologize. It's not your fault that you're more popular than every other guy in our class," sighed Makida.

"I thought the attention was just brought on by my position in Class B. It seems like there are other factors at play," I replied. "I'm just happy that I'm not getting shunned."

"Hahaha! Why would you get shunned? What are we, middle schoolers?" Onizuka laughed while slapping my back.

"What are we, middle schoolers?" That question actually answered some of the questions I had.

"But really, Ayanokouji, I think you should consider getting a girlfriend. I'm sure you'll have fun." Kikuchi said as he put his hand on my shoulder.

Combined with his warm smile, he looked quite cool after saying that line. Kikuchi exuded a similar vibe to that of Hirata.

"Fuuu~! Eita has spoken!" Onizuka playfully struck his arm. "Your ex must've been regretting her decision to dump you now, huh? Look at how cool and manly you've become."

In terms of experience, Kikuchi would probably be our senpai. He had a lengthy relationship with a girl back in his middle school days, and it seemed like he was telling the truth given his calm and mature demeanor. There were no inconsistencies in his stories, too.

He was often compared to me or Akito since we act in a similar manner. If it weren't for his subpar academic and athletic performance, I'm sure he'd become popular.

"We were young back then. Breaking up was probably for the best. And besides, it was bound to happen given my enrollment in this school," he replied with a sigh. "If you're planning to get a girlfriend, you're better off going out with someone from the same school, especially in high school... And it's not like we have any other choice here, anyway."