Vol. 3: Chapter 13.1 - Let the Show Begin

6th Day, 10:48 AM.

After getting back to the base camp, I approached Horikita for a not-so-brief conversation.

"Ayanokouji-kun, you've arrived later than usual. Did anything happen on the way?" she asked, sensing that something was up.

"I had some business with Class A. Specifically, Sakayanagi's faction."

Without batting an eye, I instantly went straight to the point.

The five of us; Horikita, Hirata, Karuizawa, Kikyou, and I were all aware of Class A's affairs-- albeit without the specifics. That's why she immediately knew what I was talking about.

With a serious expression, Horikita pulled me towards the edge of the campsite.

"What kind of business?" she asked.

"They sold their leader's name to me. Well, more like 'presented' in that regard. I didn't really give them anything in return."

Horikita's eyes momentarily widened in surprise.

"Any chance that it's a trap?"

"The reason why I was out for so long was to confirm whether it was true or not, so no, it's not a trap."

"I see. I doubt such a simple trick would work on you, anyway." Horikita muttered before facing me. "So now... we have Class A's leader on our hands, right?"

"Exactly," I replied simply.

It all happened in that old tower. As a perniciously placed spot, it wasn't really included in their usual rotation. Occupying that place had a very irregular and unpredictable schedule. In other words, it was the perfect spot to prove Hashimoto's claim.

He obviously needed the help of a few other students, but I have to admit, Hashimoto's charisma and social skills were easily among the top. I managed to distract Katsuragi with Hirata's help. With the ruse of "exchanging resources", their leader was successfully distracted. Of course, Hirata didn't know my other agenda, so Katsuragi would gain nothing even with some cold reading. After evading their cautious leader, he effectively manipulated his other classmates for me.

He created the perfect scenario that allowed me to witness Totsuka in the process, and I finally confirmed that he was indeed telling the truth.

"That's... incredible news. Are you planning to tell Hirata-kun and the others?"

One would usually be restless and excited about this, but Horikita stayed calm and collected. I guess choosing Horikita to take on the role of an accomplice was the right call.

"No... I can't involve the others just yet." I shook my head in response. "That said, I have more things to tell you."

And that's when I proceeded to reveal everything to her.

"All of this... I... don't even have the words to..."

"You can analyze how I did things after the exam ends. But for now, I want you to focus on your role."

"..."

Horikita and I proceeded to ask Chabashira-sensei for some clarifications involving the additional rules.

Guessing the leaders' names was a huge gamble. If your answers are right, you'll earn 50 points for each correct name. However, having your class leader exposed would negate all of the provisional points you've earned from spots on top of a 50-point penalty for each class that has guessed correctly.