Vol. 4: Chapter 3.1 - The VIP in Sheep's Clothing

Day 1, 7:30 AM.

The four of us were currently inside one of the lounges on the first deck.

"I want to talk about Kouenji-kun," said Hirata.

We've briefly discussed the things we wanted to talk about last night. The problem regarding Kouenji was definitely one of them. I mean, it was only a matter of time.

"Given his attitude, I doubt he'd cooperate with us," followed Horikita.

"Is there no way for us to convince him?" asked Kikyou.

"Kouenji-kun's actions have been irresponsible and neglectful. At first, I thought it was fine to let him be. Even if he didn't take things seriously, I anticipated that there wouldn't be any huge demerit for the class. However, not participating at all turned out to be a problem, especially during special tests," said Horikita.

"It caused quite a bit of trouble during the island exam..." muttered Hirata.

"Hmm... At first glance, I don't think he can do anything to harm the class this time. If he refrains from participating in the discussions, only he will get penalized. However..." I glanced at Horikita, anticipating that she knew what I'm going to say next.

"Outcome #4, right?" Horikita continued with a grave expression.

"Yeah," I nodded. "If Kouenji really wanted to force himself out, he can just submit an answer randomly. His group's exam will end but we'll have to suffer greatly."

"Not only that... If the VIP happened to be from Class A, the gap between us would only widen," added Hirata.

This exam wasn't like the one on the island where we had to find the leaders' names while protecting ours. In this exam, deceiving other classes was actually the ideal strategy if the VIP is from your class. After all, unlike last time where there weren't any inside benefits in misleading the enemies, this time, we'll gain both private points and class points.

"But what if Kouenji-kun is the VIP? He can't submit an answer that way, right? And with a chance to get 500,000 private points, I don't think he'll reveal himself that easily," asked Kikyou.

"I think we can count on it to some degree, but he's too unpredictable. Who's to say that he won't prioritize his relaxation time over 500,000 private points?" I argued.

"You're right... That's still a pretty big possibility." Kikyou agreed with a concerned expression.

"I'll go talk to him." Hirata made his decision with a firm look on his face.

"We'll be counting on you then," I nodded, giving my support.

To be honest, as much as I trust Hirata's resolve, I didn't have hope for a favorable result.

After talking about Kouenji, we ran through the rules and mechanics, making sure that we understood everything perfectly.

The testing period lasted three days, or four if we include the third day which is a rest day. After all, even if there weren't going to be any discussions, students were free to submit answers if they wanted.

We then tried to memorize the most vital prohibitions. One of which prevented the cooperation between all first-years:

Discussion between students hailing from different classes is forbidden if they are not in the same group. This lasts until the exam ends. Breaking that rule and getting caught would result in expulsion.

The details were specified in the manual and it seemed like small conversations are fine. We were being heavily monitored so I doubt students could get away with having hour-long discussions with students they're not supposed to talk with.

The rest of the rules were just as tight. Forceful methods like stealing someone else's phone, threats, or acts of violence will automatically get you expelled. They were on the same severity as the island exam's rules if not harsher.

We tried to simplify the given tangible methods to clear the test.

Outcome #1: The VIP reveals his or her identity and the other students in the group submit their answers in the designated timeframe. Everyone gets their reward and the exam is cleared.

Outcome #2: The VIP stays hidden until the end.

Outcome #3: The traitor finds out the VIP's identity and submits the right answer.

Outcome #4: The traitor is misled about the VIP's identity and submits the wrong answer.

The first outcome is good for one individual only. The class with four students also has the advantage. They'd get 2,000,000 private points or 2,500,000 if one of them is the VIP.

The second outcome is a viable option if the enemies are hard to trick. However, it's also up to the VIP's abilities to keep up a poker face and avoid suspicion.

If the VIP is from our class, the third outcome must be avoided at all times.

On the other hand, we win if the traitor is misled about our VIP's identity and triggers the fourth outcome.

The test was truly about thinking. In a social deduction game, players are forced to lie and deceive others. It was both the most effective strategy and the best way to have fun. However, this exam was quite different. A lot of strange things are certainly getting looked over and I'm sure that those strange things will be the key to winning.

Before we could finish up, the time for the VIPs' assignments finally arrived.

Our phones made loud beeps all at the same time. The four of us immediately checked the emails we received.

"After thorough consideration, you have not been chosen to be the VIP. Please remember to be a team player as your group tackles the challenges of this test. The exam begins today and will be held over a period of three days. Members of the Dragon group should gather in the Dragon Room located on the second deck." Hirata narrated the message that he got.

I received the exam the exact same one, word for word. Horikita and I glanced towards each other at the same time. Her weak nod indicated that she got the same message, too. The three of us looked in Kikyou's direction.

She continued staring at her phone with a stiff expression.

"Uhm... It seems like... I was chosen as the VIP for our group." Kikyou nervously held her phone screen to us.

The email she received became very easy for us to read.

[After thorough consideration, you have been chosen to be the VIP. Please remember to be a team player as your group tackles the challenges of this test. The exam begins today and will be held over a period of three days. Members of the Dragon group should gather in the Dragon Room located on the second deck.]

I reread the first sentence a couple of times just to make sure that I wasn't seeing things incorrectly. The absence of the word "not" made her message flip entirely on its head.