Vol. 1: Chapter 6.3 - The Curtain Closes for the Prelude

Finally, it was Friday. As usual, classes went on without a hitch. After Chabashira-sensei addressed some things in our afternoon homeroom, Hirata and Kushida immediately went in front to get everyone's attention.

"Everyone, may we have a little bit of your time before you go?" asked Hirata.

Apart from Kouenji, who got up from his chair and walked out of the door, everyone sat down and listened. He's currently the biggest enigma in this class.

I instructed Hirata, Kushida, and Sudou to ignore him even if he leaves. That way, we can proceed without any unnecessary commotion.

"So, Hirata-kun and I have a quick suggestion. I'm sure all of you are aware of this and might be using it already. I'm talking about the chatting app in our phones." Kushida says, raising her phone screen for everyone to see. "I've heard from Ichinose-san that they already have a group chat with everyone in their class. I think it would be a good idea if we do the same."

Everyone instinctively grabbed their phones. At that moment, Karuizawa's group made their move.

"Yeah! Let's get everyone in one group chat! That way, we can easily talk about things without worrying about eavesdroppers!" Karuizawa started, making sure everyone inside the room heard what she said.

"It's about time!" followed Shinohara.

"Let's do it!" added Sonoda.

Due to their wonderful display of interpersonal skills, Hirata, and especially Kushida got everyone into the class group chat. Well, everyone besides Kouenji.

Apparently, it was a common practice for students to make an official group chat for their class. If that's the case, then I guess it was only a matter of time before ours was formed.

Since I was free the entire afternoon, I decide to stroll around the campus. As expected, everything's really of the highest quality.

I finally went inside the so-called "special building". It was definitely uncrowded, used only for some clubs... It's quite the sizeable building, too. Well, what can I say? This school is basically a place of affluence.

Coming down from the third floor, which didn't have any security cameras installed, I decided to head for Keyaki Mall.

Huh? A person? I tried to hide but immediately threw the idea after seeing who it was.

Sakura Airi, a girl from my class. She was currently taking pictures of herself, not wearing her glasses nor her blazer. She wasn't in her usual hairstyle and demeanor too. She's like a completely different person.

I waited until she finished her current round of picture-taking. After that, I finally decided to show myself.

Seeing my approaching figure, Sakura panicked and immediately made a run for it.

Anticipating this, I dashed in her direction and caught her wrist. I took extra care into holding my strength back as to not hurt her by accident.

"Kyah-?!" she yelped.

"Uh, Sakura? You're Sakura Airi, right?" I asked. "I'm Ayanokouji. We"re from the same class, remember?"

She turned to me instead of continuing to run. This might be the only advantage of my dull tone. If I sounded as energetic as Ike or Yamauchi, Sakura would probably yell and ask for help. I felt her resistance wane a bit after I identified myself.

"Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to grab you like that. I kind of panicked when I saw you run out of nowhere," I explained, gently releasing my grip on her wrist.