Vol. 3: Chapter 4.1 - The Leader

I returned to our base a bit later than Kouenji, at around 3:00 PM.

"Ayanokouji-kun, you're back." Hirata greeted me along with the rest of the remaining Class B students in the camp.

"Yeah, I hurried back after scuttling all over the place. Before I go over the next phase of our plans, why don't we decide on who's going to be the leader? That way, we can officially occupy the spot in this river and start earning points," I suggested.

"Well, we were actually talking about that earlier. Everyone agreed that you're the best choice for it."

Our classmates nodded their heads almost in unison.

"Me, huh?"

"Like, Hirata-kun and I just stand out too much. The same can also be said with Kushida-san. The best choices were you and Horikita-san, but Class D is targeting her, right?" said Karuizawa.

Hmm... They certainly have a point. I don't think Class A and D are that aware of me. And I don't think Ichinose would carelessly try to choose me when we guess the leaders' identities on the last day. On the other hand, even if the other two classes are wary of Horikita, it's not like they'll just put her name on the paper without any basis.

Regardless, I can understand why they wanted me as the leader.

"Sorry if we kind of decided this while you were gone. Of course, you can decline," said Hirata.

"No, it's fine. You guys have surveyed the perimeter, right? If no one else is around, then it's probably safe to occupy the spot as soon as now. Let's report to Chabashira-sensei and tell her that I will be the leader," I replied.

"Alright! Ayanokouji is our leader!"

"Shh! Don't be too noisy!"

"It's fine, isn't it? We've been on guard this whole time. There shouldn't be any spies around us this early in the exam."

"But still!"

I let my classmates continue whatever they were doing. Right now, the morale of Class B is extremely high. If things continue like this, I would be able to freely move around and look for more spots.

"Alright, here's your key card, Ayanokouji. Handle it with care," Chabashira-sensei said as she handed me a small card with my name on it.

"I will. Thank you, Sensei." I formally received the card and shoved it inside my jersey pant's left pocket.

At 3:10 PM, Class B has gained the right of exclusive possession to the spot near the river. We have officially received 1 provisional point.

"Where's Kouenji, by the way?" I asked.

"Kouenji-kun returned a while ago, but he said he'd go swimming for a bit," replied Hirata.

"Sigh... I knew it."

"What do you mean, Ayanokouji-kun?"

"He's probably going to retire soon."

"What-? What do you mean? Did something happen between you guys?"

"Not really. Kouenji probably planned to retire since the start of the test after deciding that he didn't like how it's going to be."

"If he didn't like... What...?"

Even Hirata couldn't comprehend Kouenji's actions.

"Kouenji just acted on his whim. He does what he wants without a care for anything else. Or at least, that's what he told me. I tried to convince him, but it didn't work."