Vol. 2: Chapter 4.1 - Katabasis

The mornings in Class B were lively. Everything seemed normal to everyone, and as far as they're concerned, the only thing that they needed to worry about was the upcoming final exam. After that, all of us will enjoy an extravagant summer vacation on an island paradise. Or at least, that's what Chabashira-sensei told us before.

After another normal day had passed, I decided to make my move. As usual, it's convenient that Chabashira-sensei has the tendency to leave earlier once everything is settled in the afternoon homeroom.

"Alright, that's all. Goodbye."

"Chabashira-sensei, I have something that I would like to announce. Is it alright if you stay a little longer?" I stood up and walked to the front.

"Ayanokouji? Hmm. Alright, make it quick," she answered.

Hirata and Kikyou were surprised, just like the rest of the class. They sat straight, waiting for me to say my piece. Horikita was the only one waiting for my signal. After all, I explained everything to her during our meeting. At the same time, Akito, Sakura, and Haruka also seemed to guess what's going to happen. I called them up to vouch for my words in Horikita's presence last night.

"Firstly, I would like to confirm something. Do all of you recognize me as Class B's leader?" I asked.

Well, before I make the announcement of stepping down, I should at least confirm if most of them even think of me as the leader. It would be pretentious to suddenly get to it without considering the others' opinions.

"Yes, Ayanokouji-kun. I think there's no other person in this room that's fit to lead the class more than you do," said Hirata.

"Yeah! You're the one who brought us this far, Kiyotaka-kun!" followed Kikyou.

"I know right? Like, you're the smartest guy in school. Of course, you're our leader." Karuizawa shrugged as if she just said something obvious.

"That's right!"

"I know you'll lead us to Class A, Ayanokouji!"

Eventually, almost all of my classmates parroted their words.

"I see. Then, I have a proposal. I've talked about this with Hirata, Horikita, and Kikyou, but I didn't tell them that I'd announce it today." I turned to look at each of them. "If possible, I'd like your help in explaining."

Chabashira-sensei didn't seem to know where I was getting at. She continued listening to my words in silence.

Hirata and the two girls stood up and proceeded to the front.

"I was surprised at first, but now I understand," started Hirata. "To put everything simply, Ayanokouji-kun will be stepping down as the class's leader."

Everyone's shocked reactions instantly became apparent.

"What?"

"What does that mean?"

"Why is Ayanokouji-kun stepping down?"

Some had concerned and anxious expressions. Of course, their confusion was understandable.

"Everyone, please let us explain." Kikyou got their attention with ease. "I can't break down the exact details, but one thing is clear: This is part of Kiyotaka-kun's plan so we can rise to Class A."

Muffled murmurs followed Kikyou's words.

"Kushida-san, allow me to elaborate." Horikita stepped in to help.

"Ah, yes. Please do, Horikita-san," replied Kikyou.

"Everyone, I don't think any of us have noticed it yet, but one class has started to move." Horikita turned to Sudou. "Sudou-kun, you almost got into a fight with three boys from Class D, am I right?"