Vol. 4: Chapter 6.1 - Catalyst

The Dragon Group members from Class B decided to have dinner together in a nice sushi restaurant.

"Ahh~! That was something, wasn't it?" commented Kikyou.

"Yeah. I'm glad Horikita-san was there with us. It gave me a feeling of reassurance," said Hirata.

"We're still far from winning. Since the exam just started, I'm sure their real plans are yet to be revealed," she replied.

So far, Katsuragi's "Garrison" plan had remained solid. Ryuuen's "Siege" plan is still in its early stage, but it's unclear how or what he'll do to progress things. Meanwhile, Ichinose had only revealed her defensive trump card with us as their partner. Class C's real plan to tackle this exam is still a mystery.

"It's good that you're being vigilant, but man I'm starving," I said, rubbing my stomach.

"If it wasn't for our agreement, I would've scolded you by now. That said, it's quite refreshing to see an uncooperative Ayanokouji Kiyotaka." Horikita raised an eyebrow.

"Shut up. This was my original plan, anyway. Once we reach Class A, don't expect me to help with leading the class ever again. It's too much stress."

Hirata looked at me with a curious expression. My decision to permanently step down was known only to Kikyou and Horikita, so his reaction makes sense.

"You've mentioned that to me before, too. If you're really serious, then I wonder how the class would take it," pondered Kikyou.

"Ayanokouji-kun, this is the first time I've heard of this. Would you mind explaining?" asked Hirata.

"Ah, I meant exactly what I said. Once we reach Class A, my plan is to permanently demote myself from leader to follower. Wait, no... It would be ideal to demote myself all the way down to the status of bystander..." I replied as I went off to my own fantasy world of living a dégagé life.

"So you're planning to hand over your leadership to Horikita-san just like last time?"

"I've been thinking about that, too. But I don't think Horikita can lead the class as she is now." I said while glancing at her. "I'm sure you know the reason, yes?"

"I'm aware of my own shortcomings. First of all, the victory from the first special exam was all thanks to Ayanokouji-kun's efforts. He was also the main reason why Ike-kun and Yamauchi-kun were saved from being sanctioned by the school. And of course, there's the purchase for the explanation of the S-System back in April." Horikita faced us with a sigh. "On the other hand, I've only been involved as one of the tutors. It was also thanks to the three of you that our classmates do not perceive my cold personality as hostile and undesirable. But since I'm not good with socializing, I can barely call any of them a friend."

"I guess giving Horikita a one-week trial was a good start. My decision back then also made it clear to them that she was my second-in-command. However, after I've gone off to my relaxing student life, what would happen if the other classes make a sudden comeback?"

"I see... You've been the 'leader' in everyone's mind this whole time. If Horikita-san takes the reins and fails to produce the same result, it wouldn't be good for her position." Hirata contemplated with a serious expression.

Kikyou and Horikita's nonchalant reactions about my "retirement" helped a lot in how Hirata took it. And besides, seeing how he's just going along with us, it seems like Hirata respects my decision enough to not make an objection.

"I'm still confident in leading the class, but I doubt I'd do a better job," sighed Horikita.

It seems like I was successful in toning down her pride. Horikita Suzune has come to terms with the fact that there can be someone above her. To be honest, I thought about the possibility of her confidence getting shattered in the process, but Horikita was just as levelheaded as I imagined her to be.