Vol. 4: Chapter 2.1 - The Players on the Board

"Can you lend me your phone for a bit, Kikyou?" I asked.

"Mn, sure." Kikyou handed her phone over without hesitation.

She leaned closer until the sides of our heads and shoulders touched. I compared and contrasted the messages that we got while she looked over beside me.

"They're completely the same..." I muttered. "Kikyou, ask everyone in the group chat to send their room number and time."

Did all of us get the same message? That's impossible, though. One of the simple cabins on the 2nd deck can't occupy an entire class let alone the entirety of the freshmen.

"O-Okay, I understand." Kikyou tensed up after I started giving out instructions.

The two of us sent our time and room number in a simple format that everyone can follow.

One by one, messages started flooding the group chat.

It took about 7 minutes before everyone (except Kouenji, who wasn't part of the class group chat) in the classes managed to respond.

"Kiyotaka-kun, do you have any idea what this could mean?" asked the confused Kikyou.

"Hmm... Three rooms are used in total-- Room 202 to Room 204. Their times range from 17:00 to 20:40, the same as our time... The rooms differ for each designated time," I muttered.

17:00 - Room 203

17:20 - Room 204

17:40 - Room 202

18:00 - Room 203

18:20 - Room 204

18:40 - Room 202

19:00 - Room 203

19:20 - Room 204

19:40 - Room 202

20:00 - Room 203

20:20 - Room 204

20:40 - Room 202

"Hirata-kun and Horikita-san have the same room and time as us."

"Yeah... It seems like we'll have to meet up together later," I replied before continuing to analyze the data. "Twelve groups in total, huh? There's a twenty-minute margin between each... The 17:00 group, the 17:20 group, the 19:00 group, and us, the 20:40 group all have four members. Every other group has 3 members besides the 19:20 group, so we can probably assume that Kouenji belongs there."

"K-Kiyotaka-kun, please slow down for a bit... I'm sorry, I can barely keep up," Kikyou commented with a bitter smile.

"It's alright, Kikyou. I'm just doing some pre-analysis while speaking to myself. Unless we fully get the context and instructions, what I'm saying might end up being completely irrelevant. You don't really have to pay attention."

"Hee-hee. Knowing you, I'm sure that won't be the case." Kikyou chuckled adorably.

"You overestimate me," I responded with my usual line.

"I'm not~," she replied with an unwavering smile.

With her puppy-like eyes, I was compelled to gently pat Kikyou's head. She seemed pleased by it, so I guess it's fine.

"Well, for starters, we'll ask the 17:00 group to report their findings after their turn."

"Ohh, let's see... Sakura-san, Matsushita-san, Sudou-kun, and... Kanji-kun, I guess."

"Yeah," I nodded before checking the time. "It's 4:21 PM now, 39 minutes before the designated time. We were given 20 minutes to travel down to the 2nd deck, so they have more than enough time to change into their uniforms before doing so."