Vol. 1: Chapter 16.1 - Peculiar Morning

May 26th, Wednesday.

It's been two weeks since my confrontation with Kushida. I was currently holding the memorandum which was prepared for that night, rereading the details of each condition I put in. I would've taken this out if she still decided to doubt me in the end.

"I'm surprised Kushida didn't ask for something like this. Her mind must've been too occupied with worry and anxiety at that time..."

Kushida has been coming to my room every other day or every two days to vent her feelings. I just sit there and quietly listen to her. Of course, whenever she asks for my opinion, I just give a neutral answer.

Kushida and I have been acting the same as usual, and yet, I can't help but feel like we've become a bit closer since that night.

I sighed in reminiscence, folding the contract and putting it inside the drawer. I checked the group chats to see how everyone's doing.

"Hmm... The exam will be on Friday, the day after tomorrow. Based on Hirata's report, everyone's pretty much ready to take on the exam," I muttered. "I'm glad we made it in time."

But regarding Ken, it would be great if his score can hit the 60's. Well, because his foundation was so bad, I guess this much was expected.

I've been thinking about it for a few days now. Why would they suddenly change the topics for our exam when there are only two weeks left? The only reason I can come up with was to prevent some sort of foul play like cheating... which begs the question. How can we even cheat on the exam?

On the surface, it seemed like they wanted to discourage cheating... but something felt odd.

That mock test is surely a clue.

Until now, everyone still found that test bizarre for a few reasons. Chabashira-sensei implied that the test was used as a reference for our class points in May. However, that reason in itself was already kind of out of place. They could just give us a surprise quiz covering all of the lessons for the first three weeks. Instead, the questions were mostly on the junior high level, combined with those difficult higher-level questions at the end of the test.

"Hmm... What if those questions were the clues themselves?" I murmured before sitting up from my bed.

I'll look into this tomorrow. If my hunch is right, we can achieve the highest class average in the entire year. I'd want someone to accompany me, but who do I choose? Hirata and Kushida would stand out, so I guess it'll be Horikita.

I decided to sleep after sending Horikita a text.

On the next day, I prepared to head out after finishing my morning exercise routines.

When the elevator opened...

"Oh, Ayanokouji-kun!" Ichinose Honami was inside.

"Good morning, Ichinose," I greeted. "You're early."

"Ahaha, you're usually a bit earlier than me though. I see you walking ahead of me almost every morning," she said.

That's true. But of course, there are one or two days in a week where I don't come to school as early.

"The midterm exams are right around the corner, huh?" she said.

"Yeah, how's your class doing?"

"We're doing great! Everyone's really diligent with their studies. Class C has worked pretty hard these past few weeks," Ichinose replied with a smile.

"Class B's the same. There are more students in our class who're lower when it comes to their innate academic abilities, but through Hirata and Kushida's leadership, everyone came together and studied rigorously," I narrated.