Vol. 1: Chapter 15.1 - Inviting The Wolf Into Another Wolf's Den

(20:20) [Can you spare some time for me tomorrow?]

(20:20) [Ayanokouji-kun!]
(20:21) [Sure, what time?]

(20:21) [Right after the study session.]
(20:21) [Is it alright if you come to my room?]
(20:21) [I want to talk to you about something.]

(20:21) [Oh, sure.]
(20:21) [It's something important, isn't it?]

(20:22) [Yeah... and private too.]

(20:22) [Alright, let's head home together tomorrow.]

(20:22) [Okay.]
(20:23) [Thanks, Kushida.]

(20:23) [No problem! o(^▽^)o]

If anyone were to read such a friendly conversation, they wouldn't be able to guess that it's actually the prelude to a potential war.

"Ayanokouji-kun!"

Kushida called out and waved at me as soon as I entered the classroom.

"Good morning," I replied.

Kushida went up to me and whisperingly said.

"About later... It'll be about the girl you like, am I right?" she teasingly asked.

"I... can't say anything right now-- too many people," I replied.

"Hmm~? That's suspicious, Ayanokouji-kun," she smiled sweetly.

"Hey! What are you two talking about?" yelled Ike.

He and Yamauchi walked towards the two of us with huge grins. And with that, I left Kushida to the two of them. Ike will surely scold me about getting in his way to Kushida's heart, or something. Of course, Kushida happily kept them company, even if she abhored them deep inside.

It feels weird knowing Kushida's true-- Hmm... Now that I think about it, which even is Kushida's true self...? Well, 'point stands that she hates some of our classmates to the core. She might even hate me, too.

"Good morning... Ayanokouji-kun."

Horikita greeted me with a rather soft tone. It was quite the difference compared to her usual stern way of speaking. Horikita's current demeanor reminded me of the time when she was talking with her brother.

"Good morning, Horikita," I replied.

I hung my bag and sat comfortably.

"Is there really nothing I can do to help?" asked Horikita.

"Yes, I got it covered."

"I see..."

She looked pretty upset. Well, after Horikita Manabu berated her about not giving any contributions for the class's betterment, I can't really blame Horikita's insistence to help.

"Horikita, the best thing you can do to help me right now is to focus on what you're supposed to do," I said.

"I am. My study group has been functioning well and--"

"Are you friends with any of your tutees yet?" I asked, interrupting her.

"Friends? Why are you asking that?" Horikita's eyes narrowed.

"Oh, you're right. Sorry, that's none of my business. Let me rephrase the question. Are you at least on friendly terms with them?"

"I can't say..." Horikita pondered my question.

"What I meant by that is; are you at least criticizing them in a way that you won't hurt their feelings? After all, you're a very frank person, Horikita. You didn't hesitate to criticize me harshly back in April," I said jokingly.