Vol. 2: Chapter 10.1 - Work Behind the Scenes

After exiting the building, Horikita turned around to look at me. Ah-- no... She turned around to glare at me. Well, I guess my day wouldn't be complete without seeing this expression of hers.

"I'm sorry, Ayanokouji-kun, but I refuse to wait until Kinoshita-san and Manabe-san's withdrawal. I want you to explain everything to me today," she demanded.

"Sigh... The look on your face already told me everything," I shrugged. "I don't really have a choice, do I? Let's go to my room."

Horikita was surprised by my agreement, but she immediately nodded. After we got to my room, I prepared some tea for her before finally giving Hirata a call. I put it in speaker mode so Horikita can participate when necessary.

"Hello, Ayanokouji-kun?"

"Ah, Hirata? We're done talking with Ryuuen. Ike and Yamauchi were indeed telling the truth. After some negotiation, they agreed to withdraw from the case."

"Oh, are you serious? That's great news!"

"Yeah, Horikita and I are hanging out in my room right now. You don't have to worry about us. Everything turned out fine."

"Our class will be overjoyed with this!"

"Yeah... It was all-"

"Hirata-kun," Horikita butted in.

"Ah, Horikita-san. I heard it went well."

"Yes, please relay the news to everyone and tell them that everything was successful because of Ayanokouji-kun's strategy."

It seems like Horikita's pride won't allow her to take the credit. Well, I don't really mind taking the credit this time.

"Strategy?"

"Well, is it alright if we keep the details of the negotiation? It's fine as long as our classmates know that we won, right?"

"Alright... But, Horikita-san, can I at least know how you two did it?"

Hirata's concern was understandable. I suppose I could tease Horikita a little bit while responding to this.

"That's...-"

"I had Horikita admit defeat to Ryuuen," I interrupted.

"What-?" Horikita glared at me.

"Admit defeat?" Meanwhile, Hirata was also quite confused.

"Yeah, I guess it's just his personality. Ryuuen was quite delighted after Horikita told him that we lost, saying that he'll let us off this time. Well, we won't tell you the details of how pathetic it was for the two of us... You know... Begging and all..."

"That's... I'm sorry, Horikita-san. I shouldn't have asked..."

"It's... fine... Hirata-kun..." Horikita replied while punching my arm repeatedly.

I'm quite amused by her current embarrassment. It would've been better if she had a cute, pouting face on, kinda like how Kikyou would do it.

"Alright, I'll deliver the news to everyone. Thank you, Horikita-san, Ayanokouji-kun..."

"Yeah."

After hanging up, I looked at Horikita's eyes and thought that they were moister than usual.

"How dare you..."

She continued killing me with her eyes.

"Let's just consider that as me saying 'That's what you get for being stubborn.' and get on with it," I shrugged my shoulders.