Vol. 3: Chapter 6.1 - Frugality and Luxury

"Good morning, Ayanokouji-kun." Hirata greeted me with a smile.

It was currently 6:00 AM and everyone who was awake started to do their chores. I monitored Ibuki's tent the whole time and it wasn't long until she finally woke up. She's pretty early, but even if she decides to check the spot mechanism and see that it's been recently occupied, enough students are awake to throw her guesses off. The whole class was on guard, so if Ibuki ever tries to ask one of us about the mechanism, it's over for her should she turn out to be a spy.

Hirata Yousuke, a co-leader of Class B, and my close friend approached me with a refreshed expression. Looking at his wet face and hair, it seems like Hirata just finished washing up.

"Good morning, Hirata. You're early. Weren't on you on night watch?"

"It got pretty humid, so I woke up earlier than expected. I think it's great, though. I can help out our classmates more."

That's very Hirata-like of you, Hirata.

"Ayanokouji, Hirata, can you guys come here for a sec'?" Ike suddenly called out to us.

We arrived at Ike's position after a few paces. He was currently staring at the river with serious eyes.

"Is everything alright, Ike-kun?" asked Hirata.

"I think we have a problem?"

"A problem?"

I turned my gaze towards the glistening river water, which looked the same as it was the day before. I can't really see anything wrong with it.

"The water won't warm up even at the hottest period of the day. I don't think it's enough. If our classmates bathe in this cold water, someone's bound to get sick..." he explained.

"Ohh, how could you tell, Ike-kun?" Hirata asked with an awed expression.

"Well, my old man used to babble about things like dewpoint and humidity, but I can't really wrap my head around those. The only thing I can do is feel stuff to know how they affect one another."

Hirata and I listened intently.

"A-Ah-! Of course, I'm not saying that my words are a hundred percent accurate. I'm just tossing around some suggestions." Ike panicked upon seeing our absentminded reactions.

"No, Ike-kun. We'll heed your warning. You're saying we should install a temporary shower, right?"

"Mn, I guess so... Some of us are probably fine with sticking to the river, but I'm worried about the frail students catching a cold."

We cannot spend our time boiling the water little by little. We don't have any large containers to store them in the first place. Our clean water should be used exclusively for drinking.

"You're right, Ike. Perhaps we should install one."

"We'll discuss it with everyone so we can decide later."

After Ike and I nodded to Hirata's words, the footsteps of three people could be heard not far from our location.

"Oh, so this is Class B's base, huh?"

"Kanzaki?" I said.

It was Kanzaki Ryuuji of Class C. With him were two other male Class C students; Beppu Ryouta and Hamaguchi Tetsuya.

"It's been a while, Ayanokouji," he greeted.

"What's up?"

"Your base looks pretty nice."

Beppu and Hamaguchi followed suit. I was acquainted with them because of Ichinose. It's also probably the reason why she sent these three to check our base.