Vol. 1: Chapter 4.2 - Brother

"Then, I'll go ahead near the place for the basketball club. See you tomorrow, if not later, Ayanokouji." Sudou waved at me.

The reception area will be opened a bit later, but I guess Sudou wanted to camp near them to register early.

"Yeah, sure. Good luck," I responded.

"Alright. You too, Horikita." Sudou waved at Horikita before turning around to run.

"Don't get into fights, Sudou-kun. Yo-" I swiftly put my hands in front of Horikita. When she looked at me in confusion, I just shook my head in response.

"I won't!" Sudou yelled without looking back.

"You're lucky Sudou was too excited for the basketball club. Your unwarranted comment would've pissed him off," I told her.

"I was just reminding him-"

"You didn't have to," I interrupted, looking into her eyes.

I didn't have to explain anything. Given how sharp she is, Horikita should get what my eyes were saying. "I know him more than you do.", "You don't get to tell him what to do either." I didn't know if my tone was harsh, but I felt like I didn't need to sugarcoat things too much when I'm with Horikita.

"I see... I'm sorry..." This was a first. I expected her to apologize with a defiant tone. But in stark contrast to my expectations, Horikita looked genuinely apologetic. Now I'm obligated to give her an explanation or else, I'll feel bad.

"I know more than anyone just how much Sudou can damage the class if he gets out of control. I'm doing everything I can to prevent any of that from happening. Don't say nor do anything unnecessary or you'll just get in my way," I scolded-- kind of.

"So the reason you're... Just who are you...?" Horikita muttered, perplexed.

Right now, Horikita probably concluded that I'm trying to "fix" Sudou under the guise of being friends. I really do want to make friends with him, you know?

I walked forward before talking once more. "Anyway, there are more people here than I expected."

Nearly all of the students assembled there were freshmen. There were about a hundred people waiting around. We stood near the back of the room and waited for the fair to begin. While waiting, we glanced over the pamphlet that students received upon entering the gymnasium. The pamphlet contained detailed information about club activities.

"I wonder if this school has famous clubs. For example, something like karate," mused Horikita.

"As expected, every club seems to operate on a high level." I started scrutinizing the fair around us.

Of course, this school couldn't be a top-tier institution for every sport. I can see that clearly.

"The equipment here is luxurious, it puts professionals' stuff to shame. Oh, but it looks like they don't have a karate club, after all," says Horikita.

"Were you interested in karate, Horikita?" I asked out of curiosity.

"Not really. I just studied it a long time ago," replied Horikita.

The way she says that... Horikita's words were suited for someone who was actually excited about the karate club. The tone and content of her speech don't add up sometimes.

"Thank you all for waiting, first-year students. We will now begin the club fair. A representative from each club will explain their function. My name is Tachibana, the student council secretary, and the club fair's organizer. It's nice to meet you all," announced the petite third-year named Tachibana.