The Crown Part One (Serta's POV)

Serta was in his room again. Pacing. He did that a lot these days. The Prince was to be crowned King at first light, so they have a new King for a new day. The Prince didn't want that burden of being King, being Prince was hard enough, but he had had to do most of the work anyway with his Father... gone.

A knock on the door. It creaked open. My maiden came in with a bow, and murmured something I wasn't bothered to hear, all the same I knew what she had said.
"Good morning to you too." I replied out of politeness, which I was going to have to use most days now. Thankfully the sun hadn't risen yet, but the preparations started at midnight.

Jeose dressed me as always. But not into my green tunic or black trousers. She pulled out a black and gold waistcoat, a black shirt and long black trousers with a gold line down the side. To be honest it did look ridiculous. In face I was almost certain I looked like a Ring Master. But it was the uniform I was too wear. Traditions were always ridiculous when it came to clothing.

But that wasn't all of it. After I was crowned I would be changed into some sort of natural clothing. What, I was not quite sure. My father, I remembered, wore a thorn crown... he had also worn other clothing, but I couldn't remember it. I was only four.

Stressed, Jeose whisked around the room, decorating me like a cake. When I looked in the mirror... Smart. I looked smart. Grand...that too.
"Handsome. Very handsome boy." Jeose said in my own language, although her accent still made her words very confusing. I might have looked handsome... I never really saw that 'beauty' on me though. Some of the girls certainly did, even if I waved them off, they would sill watch at me from their windows. I never flattered myself with it, I would not be arrogant. If I was to become King... I needed to be noble, honest. Proud.

I had less than half an hour before it began. There was only one place I wanted to be.

I found myself, again, by my Father's grave. The King's grave. I knelt and bowed my head.
"I am to take your crown. The people have spoken. I will try to rule as you once did. I hope I won't be taking the crown this morning, I will be given it by you. So you decide it's time for me to rule your kingdom." I thanked him. Then I left.

Seven minutes. Seventeen more, and I would be King. Jax sprinted down the stairs and hugged me. Her emotions showed, written all over her. Proudness, Courage, and a tiny bit of sorrow. No doubt though, not one bit. Very rarely did this happen... where Jax melted her shield on her heart. She had no problem telling people she loved or hated them, but the deeper emotions rarely showed.
So I held her closer, tighter.