The Way the World Once Was

The beige stones tumbled under scratched, worn shoes as they flicked up dust behind them. The walk to Vatsweila was long, taking days. Even on a winged horse's back, weather was tumbled into the equation. Kassa was impatient to see Jax her old friend but mostly all she could think about was the moaning pain under her skin. With her powers growing stronger each day it was getting even harder to focus on anything else. She had narrowly avoided mentioning being a God to Sarkon, who was now found barely saying anything to her, or anyone else. Serta, Dana, Jax and Roseanne were also on route to meet at Vatsweila. With no other choice but to follow their King, the survivors followed behind, along with a few healers who had managed to give away their hearts. They had all set off three days ago, it had been arranged over letters.

The wind was warmer now, not like the icy gusts back at Zepter. No these winds wafted Sembi's mane like grass in the savanna, like whispering flames in the night.

I was so tired. Being slowly strangled by the aching power that slumbered inside me. The pain was duller after releasing my magic, but it drained me. Sometimes I zoned out for hours on end, but it didn't matter now, all we were doing was flying. Ever so slowly making our way, crossing border after border. Lake after lake. Ocean after Ocean. It lulled us all to sleep. Thankfully, Autumn, who had come with us, had stopped muttering about his Brother or any others I hadn't bothered listening to.

"Kassa. Drink." Sarkon murmured behind me, also atop The Great Stallion. I took the bowl from his hands and drank the herb water. It tasted bitter as it trickled down my dry throat, into my stomach which churned and flipped over several times. I was ill. But being sick was the least of my worries, even if it wasn't from a bug. I had to concentrate on keeping my magic at bay. I let my fire dance in the cloudless sky. Like a bird it dived and swooped, asking me questions I pushed away. Kassa, why do you fret? Kassa, let go. Kassa, fly like us! Be free, Kassa. I wanted to. Oh, I wanted to so badly I couldn't watch when the flames leaped joyfully.

I felt Sarkon watching me, like always. He was worried. We had barely spoken, most of my conversations these days had been the silent few words pass to Sembi over our connection. Do you need rest? I asked him.

No. He snorted once, but his eyes were still fixed on the horizon.

I closed my eyes. And only a few minutes later did I find myself once again dreaming of the way me and Father used to play. Of the way Mother always guided me. Of the way the world once was.

I wish it was the way it once was.

All the colour in life, all the joy.

Now it is darkness.

Now it is death.